When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Adjusting Beat

Tim

The Zigmeister,

Is there a way to adjust the beat of a watch by trial and error (i.e. without a timing machine)? I have a DJ rep that doesn't start on it's own after you wind it, you have to lightly tap it and then it will start. It is also running significantly slow. I had mentioned it once before in a general message and you suggested that the beat was off on the watch. I am trying to find some low cost way of addressing the issue since at $150 it isn't really worth servicing.

Another possibility is that I think this thing has one of those who knows what it is ETA Chinese Franken movements in it. They claim it is a 2836 but it is just a DJ so I don't know why they would put a day-date movement in the watch. I have some know Swiss 2824 date only movements that run perfectly. Can you drop in a 2824 into where a 2836 was? Would the date wheels be interchangeable?

Thanks for the info.

/Tim

Tim,

If you are able to get to the movement, the balance [censored] may contain adjustment marks. I am pretty sure that each mark represents 5 seconds on most movements. So if the watch is running 10 seconds slow, you can advance the setting 2 marks (2 x 5 seconds = 10 seconds) to adjust it. But this is only a fine tuning adjustment, and if the watch is running very slow, it will probably need servicing or replacement.

As for tapping the watch, instead, try holding the watch horizontally in your hand like a pizza and then twist your wrist back and forth. This motion is more effective in getting the balance going and will not damage the movement like 'tapping' on it can.

Ziggy can probably provide more (or better) info when he responds, but I think he is on vacation so it may be awhile.

2824 and 2836 have different heights, in addition the stem hole on the 2836 is further from the dial side of the movement, so the stem will not line up. If you plan on dropping in a 2824, you will have to do some modification. Also, date wheels are not interchangeable - the 2836 DW is raised a bit and has a raised ring, whereas the 2824 DW is flat.