When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep convert

dieselpower

I thought I would relate a recent experience.

I have a good friend and neighbour with whom I go for a fortnightly drink to a local pub. He has a good job and likes to spend his money. Cars are his big thing and he owns a classic Aston Martin and a racing Porsche amongst others. We talk about our interests and I always bang on about rep watches and he listens but always had an air of distain about them. His attitude seemed to be that if you can't afford the gen then you shouldn't be wearing a fake, they are an insult to the original and that shows a lack of respect/taste. I would argue to the contrary and explain my reasons for owning reps. Anyway, one day I bought a Panerai rep for my wife (from Josh) and she showed it to the neighbour. He was amazed. He admired the watch a great deal and could not believe the quality of the piece. He really loves Panerai's so I told him to look on their website and choose a piece and I would try to find a decent rep of it. He was a little unsure at first, after all he had implied before, it was something of a watershed moment for him but he came back to me with a list of three and I set about trying to find a decent rep. After a few hours on the forums he seemed happy with a 111h. I don't know much about Panerai's but thought Davids watches seemed pretty good so I got in contact and ordered said watch. 4 days later it arrived (in UK from HK) and I handed over the un-opened box to my pal. It was like looking at a childs face at Christmas. He was so pleased with every aspect of it, the efficient delivery, the quality of the watch etc. it was strapped to his wrist immediately and has not left it since. I don't think he is going to be a serious repaholic and have mods done and all that but he is a true convert and is singing the praises of David, the watch, the whole business and is now planning his next rep purchase.

So there it is. All credit to the great people of this wonderful hobby and another satisfied customer, who I quietly suspect enjoys the slightly cloak and dagger aspect of our little world - which one of us doesn't? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

In all honesty though, I think that if I had the money to afford collecting vintage racing cars I would probably just spring for the gens. I think that if money was no object, a lot of people on these boards would do the same. Thats not to say that I'm poor (although I am a law student which = huge loans), its just to say that if there was absolutely nothing holding you back from buying all the watches you wanted, why not opt for better quality, face to face service and extended warrantees?

Not trying to knock the whole point of your story, just pointing out the converse perspective.