When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

anyone put gold hands on the 183?

I am currently trying to put golden hands on a 104.

I found that replacing hands is a nasty thing, so many pin sizes out there and you need exactly hands that fit on your movement.

After some search, I have been told that the Asian auto 21J so common in Luminor Marina reps is a rep of the Miyota 82xx movement. Davidsen was so kind to declare that he will provide those hands for me.

At least you can rely on the movement in your 183 is a 6497 (is it?). It being a very common movement, davidsen could be willing to help you as well. Why don't you try asking him?

Yes, I actually don't know why, but that gold hands thing grew in me since when I saw the Fiddy and Marina Militare.

By coincidence, this very moment I received a PM from davidsen and he said that my hands are ready and he is going to ship them tomorrow.

It also came to my mind that davidsen already is selling hands for the 6497, those that he advertised as "111 hands". In facts, 111 movement is 6497. You just needed to buy those hands from him instead of Fiddy hands.

Yes, I actually don't know why, but that gold hands thing grew in me since when I saw the Fiddy and Marina Militare.

By coincidence, this very moment I received a PM from davidsen and he said that my hands are ready and he is going to ship them tomorrow.

It also came to my mind that davidsen already is selling hands for the 6497, those that he advertised as "111 hands". In facts, 111 movement is 6497. You just needed to buy those hands from him instead of Fiddy hands.

@ chris

i can send you some extra small hands no problem.

Pls Pm me for the color and size. :)

You'd better let your watchsmith do it for you, 8o8.

Tricky steps are:

1) Removing the crown. Not very difficult, but if you do it the wrong way you will mess a lot of tiny pieces inside the movement, that will require to have the movement opened too and not only the case.

2) Removing the hands. For the hands sitting on the central pinion you need a specific tool. For the small second hand you need great skill, care, and patience, or you will ruine both it and the dial.

3) Reinstalling the hands. I know little about it, as I never came to this point. I always had to go to my watchsmith after point 2) :D

4) Reinstalling the crown. See point 1).

I think you have to be willing to pay for the mistakes, literally. Of all my reps I've done the most work on this one. I "fixed" the screw down crown by grinding down the treads on the crown tube, changing the stem size and super glueing it in place. All that worked well with no mistakes. But then after changing the hands a few times, you can see where I took some paint off and now they have to go. So, a 30 dollar mistake. However, with the new gold hands it should turn into something I'm relatively happy with.

I think you have to be willing to pay for the mistakes, literally. Of all my reps I've done the most work on this one. I "fixed" the screw down crown by grinding down the treads on the crown tube, changing the stem size and super glueing it in place. All that worked well with no mistakes. But then after changing the hands a few times, you can see where I took some paint off and now they have to go. So, a 30 dollar mistake. However, with the new gold hands it should turn into something I'm relatively happy with.

Believe me, I know very well your feelings... I am learning very similar lessons the hard way exactly these times, for far more than one hundred bucks...

I am sure that davidsen will sort out your hand problem. He is a very nice, willing, and collaborative guy.

And I am confident that you will end up with something you are fully happy with (why just 'relatively'? :D ).

Thanks,,,,I think the problem with working on these is that you really know where to look for the flaws, because you put them there! I ordered the hands and will post it a week or so. I'm surprised no one tried this before, there was some talk about doing this with gens on one of the panerai forums a while back.

You'd better let your watchsmith do it for you, 8o8.

thanks mate, dont have a watchsmith near me that I know of. and i cant bear the thought of being away from my watch for too long... if i send it away overseas it could take potentially a month before it comes back.

you really know where to look for the flaws, because you put them there

:Jumpy: that is the funniest thing I ever heard here!!! 22015-1877.gif

thanks mate, dont have a watchsmith near me that I know of. and i cant bear the thought of being away from my watch for too long... if i send it away overseas it could take potentially a month before it comes back.

Ok, if so then:

- Buy a hand remover tool, a hand setting tool, a 5x loupe, a 10x loupe, and pliers from ofrei.

- Open the case by turning the caseback counterclockwise with dish rubber gloves on your hands.

- Remove the rubber gloves from your hands.

- Read The Zigmeister's post on how to remove the crown and to handle the movement.

- Light a votive candle and cast some prays.

- Place a line paper on the dial before removing the hands.

- Use the removing tool only for the big hands (hours and minutes).

- Use an edge and great care and patience to remove the small second hand. Use the edge as a lever, very close to the pinion, just a fraction of mm on any side of the hand, first one side then the other, repeat several times until the hand comes out.

- Reinstall the new hands with the hand setting tool, or -- the cheap way -- with the pliers (not recommended). If you use the pliers, press them (their side, not their pin!) only on the part of the hand that is just around the hole and above the hand tube.

- Reinstall the crown with very light hand. If you feel resistance, re-remove it and retry. Never apply too much pressure.

- Ask for the watchsmith nearest to you and submit it your messed watch.

or, alternatively:

- Close the caseback again with the rubber gloves method.

Bets wishes,

:sss: