When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calipers do I need them

cool-arrow

Hello,

I have a pair of Starrett calipers. I was curious if I will ever need these tools to measure parts or cases in the future. I plan to get more into this hobby in the future and I would hate to get rid of a tool that I may need later. Any advice from people who have experince would be great. Here is a LINK of the calipers I have.

Thank You

The Starrett calipers are very nice. I'd love to have a set (not for watches), but can't justify it. I have a set of Grizzly dial calipers that do just fine. You could probably sell the Starrett, buy a cheaper set, and pocket $80-$100.

I have two that I bought for my friend and I when we were over hauling are engines. My friend is old school and he dosent believe in the digital calipers. It was important for us to have accurate measurement when we were building these high performance engines. Plus my friend is a machinist and he recomended that I buy these since we were going to be needing them for the pistons, valves, lifters, compression rings, etc etc. Now years later I find them sitting in my closet collecting dust. Kind of a waste since I paid a lot for them. Now that I have a new hobby I was hoping that I could put them to some good use. I wasn't sure if they would be what I needed for reps since they are not metric. Since I have two, I will probably sell one or both, then re-invest into quality watch tools. Do you guys think I should post one here for a trade or sale, or should I stick to

E-bay?

A good mechanical, analogic caliper is probably as good as any electronic digital caliper. I just find digital easier to read (I am presbiopic on one eye).

But if you want to go down to tenths and hundredths of mm you will need nothing less than an electronic digital micrometer (not a caliper, even if it's digital).