When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Subs and how people react to them

cool-arrow

I have been wearing my noob sub for about 3 weeks and it has fooled everyone that has examined it. As soon as they see the sticker and etch at the 6 o'clock they are convinced. I have to say to any noobs considering a Rolex rep, buy with confidence that the average person will not know the truth. I even got a compliment at a jewlery store that sells high end watches such as TAG, Breilting, etc etc. I think it is because the watch is so simple and convincing. I had one guy tell me that he considers this style of watch a real rolex. Most people ask right off " is that real" I always say what do you think as I extend my wrist towards them. This hobby is limitless and open to the average working man/woman. I think most people buy high end watches for the look, and name. Why not own the look at a fraction of the price, while educating urself on the gens.

Funny thing is that most people when they see a real sub think it is fake.

So tell me, how as a 23 year old do you pass off a sub as yours...? I will say that in the big scheem of things a gen sub is not an expensive watch, however you still need to pull off that you could afford it to begin with.

I do agree that most people would never spot any of the flaws on the better reps.

Seeing the etched crown at 6'o clock would definitely convince me it was a fake.......!

Oh yes, they are never "perfect"

I also remove the sticker from my Rolex so that they look less fake :whistling: .

Now, Cool-Arrow is right: only guys like members @ RWG or Rolex fans and ADs can spot differences.

I currently have 4 subs here.

None are the same.

The best one currently, including for the price ? TTK's MBW, no doubt this one is the closest to the gen I've seen so far.

Cool-Arrow: if you like subs, you should get an MBW.

234898-11410.jpg

Cheers

Stephane

Funny thing is that most people when they see a real sub think it is fake.

So tell me, how as a 23 year old do you pass off a sub as yours...? I will say that in the big scheem of things a gen sub is not an expensive watch, however you still need to pull off that you could afford it to begin with.

I do agree that most people would never spot any of the flaws on the better reps.

Most of the time while I am at work I just say I bought it used on E-bay. That is only when they start diging. I also have a good job and a wife, nice cars, kid, house. People know that when your have 2 incomes you can afford nice things. My wife has $1000 dollar gen purses, and such. I also have expensive jelwery so it dosent look out of place on me. My personal friends know that I like to buy nice things. My cars are all loaded and such. I spent $5000 on my home entertainment audio system and about $2000 on a DVD/stereo system in my car. I could buy a gen like most members but I cant see paying $5000 for a watch that is not a precious metal and that will eventually break and take a beating. I have a collection of broken $200-$500 dollar watches. All watches break over time and fixing the crystal on a $300 dollar eco drive is simply not worth it. I wear my watches and get good use out of them. I have scratched many watches while going out on all sorts of stuff, hand rails, walls, etc.etc.

Seeing the etched crown at 6'o clock would definitely convince me it was a fake.......!

Most people dont carry a loupe in there pocket and the 6 o'clock etch is hard to see unless you really try and have it right in front of your face. I think that the average person finds the reps here very convincing. I have read countless stories, and I didnt belive it untill it happned to me. Lets face it when were paying in the $1000 for a watch we are paying a lot for just the look and Brand name. My wife can spot a rep purse a mile away and she is one of the few people who can do it. I suppose it is the same with this hobby. When I first got a rep I didnt think it would fool anyone, but was I ever wrong.

Oh yes, they are never "perfect"

I also remove the sticker from my Rolex so that they look less fake :whistling: .

Now, Cool-Arrow is right: only guys like members @ RWG or Rolex fans and ADs can spot differences.

I currently have 4 subs here.

None are the same.

The best one currently, including for the price ? TTK's MBW, no doubt this one is the closest to the gen I've seen so far.

Cool-Arrow: if you like subs, you should get an MBW.

235161-11369.jpg

Cheers

Stephane

I am always on the look out for a nice MBW, but once they start hitting the $550 and price tag and up I think of other reps I can buy instead. Someday when I have 10 subs I will sell them all and buy a nice pre-modded MBW. My main concern is that it keeps accurate time and wont make me late for any appointments.

Cheers M8

My main concern is that it keeps accurate time and wont make me late for any appointments.

Cheers M8

Hell ya, it don't matter how accurate the rep is if it's always running too fast or to slow ....

then it's just a fashion bracelet I guess :whistling:

I generally don't get much reaction except from folks with nice watches. A buddy of mine asked when I got Kermit when he saw my LV. He was wearing his gen TT and even side by side, he did not see nor feel a difference (it is one of Josh's 188 models) until I pointed them out. He wants to get a rep sub for when he travels so if something happens, he is not out his gen. IMO the sub is the 'perfect' watch. I have many others that I like as much and some more but if it came down to one, it would be the sub. Goes from the beach to the board room with ease.

At 23 yrs old, I had a sector and a Tag 1000 both of which were bought in a pawnshop just off of campus. There were so many fake Tags running around at the time I was always worried that people thought the Tag was fake.

I miss that watch and laugh becuse the guy whom I sold it to still wears it even though the jubilee style bracelet is seriously spent. I could only dream of a Submariner as I had school loans out the ass.