When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Spitfire Chrono 42mm

scoobs1971

You Too ? I thought I was the only one ... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Love that piece, and was going to suggest it to Jay..

In the mean time however, I don't mind so much the 3706 existing rep...

it's pretty darn accurate as far as I can see...

Scoobs1971 photos above are of the New release,

however the rep is of the older model, see below.

Genuine 3706 on Left, Jay's on Right

Click to Enlarge

post-243-1177175895_thumb.jpg

I have the 39 mm and I have in my hand also the original: the dial is verz accurated!!! Totally. The only big difference is the inner circles, but in the gen is not so noticiable like in the photos. The big issue for me is the AR. Not itself: because you can not enjoy the dial

Thanks Sam_tgg ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think this model is a gem that's been hiding..

I read that review Pug and a great one it is,... however this model is not the same face style as the black dial.

The subdial numbers are exactly as the gen, also there are no white rings to deal with.

Take a close look at the gen silver face model....

If there are other differences other than the inner subdial plate, please someone chime in... -_-

Click to Enlarge..

post-243-1177173806_thumb.jpg

I see Richard Tracy that you are talking about the Spitfire version - not the 'regular' version.

Either way, any seller/dealer who finally reps the Spitfire version and Regular version correctly will get a lot of sales. Why? Well because these models are the quintessential Pilot chronographs. They are highly coveted.

The subdial flaws need to be fixed, they are grossy incorrect and a deal-breaker for a stickler like me (and a lot of other highly-opiniated folks around here).

When it comes to repping IWC, there is always the seemingly insurmountable obstacle of total & complete dial simplicity. This proves to be the most difficult concept: how to replicate an utterly simple dial 1:1 without overlooking obvious replication errors.

An example: Mark XV. It took years for a sorta decent Mark XV rep to appear. Why was it so difficult to replicate? Well, total simplicity is hard to grasp!

Anyhow, u guys get my point. I look forward to any further IWC improvements. Especially with one of these fine chronos.

Cheers

Thanks for the input guys !

So it looks to me like it comes down to simple re-printing on the dial...

and maybe, if we want to go further,.. though to me it's no big issue for me,..

the lume bars at 3-6-9 should be thinner and longer.

Anything else glaring, without having to build a whole dial ?

see the difference:

Ruby photo:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i94/ruby...62533536125.jpg

and the gen from Richard.

Yes is not perfect, but it is not the one Pug has reviewed. Comparing the gen 39mm abd the rep 39mm is not a big difference. It is true, about the Shaff.... writing, but you have more or less the same issue in the Ingy. What I have looked for is a gen dial, and this rep will be perfect (excep AR).

I do not know why this rep is not a best seller, with all the people criying for the Big Pilot (A super watch, but I could not have in my wirst, tooooooo big!!!!)

see the difference:

Yes is not perfect, but it is not the one Pug has reviewed. Comparing the gen 39mm abd the rep 39mm is not a big difference. It is true, about the Shaff.... writing, but you have more or less the same issue in the Ingy. What I have looked for is a gen dial, and this rep will be perfect (excep AR).

I do not know why this rep is not a best seller, with all the people criying for the Big Pilot (A super watch, but I could not have in my wirst, tooooooo big!!!!)

I hope Eunomians is right, that it will be a mega seller,... which would justify us presenting it to

Jay for alterations... though compared to others that sell large quantities

the flaws are not so glaring... so I guess it's the size, or maybe it's simply

not known about...

For me 39mm is a size that I can wear when I want something that calls for understated elegance,..

The piece that most don't notice how gorgeous it is, until you take a closer look..then Wow ! :rolleyes:

I agree - understated elegance is true elegance! To hell with oversized nouveaux-riches bad taste bling bling. Anybody can walk into a watchshop and ask the jeweller to cook up a diamond-encrusted waste o' money. But how many people walk into the same shop and ask to purchase a Model 96 Calatrava? Mmmmm...

Anyhow, 39mm IWC chronos are right up there with the great simple timless style of vintage Patek, Breguet and VC.

Cheers