When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Flying course

b16a2

Well I'm on weekend leave from a flying course at RNAS Yeovilton. Thought I'd share some pictures. I'm part of the Naval Unit at University, and due to wanting to be a military pilot I was sent on this course for a taster. Roughly 8-10 hours flying over 10days. After 5 hours I was flying circuits, just need to perfect the landing, and judge the decending rate a bit better. As they say there is only one thing thats guaranteed about flying, and that is that you have to land haha Here are some pictures, excuse some blurry ones, camera isn't the best in world, and some were taken in a rush...............

The first two pictures are of the aircraft I am flying. It's the Grob Tutor. Used by 727 Squadron for the flying course and also for grading. The flying course is as a taster for military flying and also to learn a bit about the Fleet Air Arm and Yeovilton.

Grading is taken whilst at Dartmouth on the Officer training. I beleive it's after the second term, and the grading itself is pass or fail. If you fail, then you get the 'chop'. If you pass then you are past the first hurdle and hopefully onto DEFTS (Elementary Flying Training) at Barkston Heath.

236853-11043.jpg

236853-11044.jpg

This is a picture of the Hawk. Famously the aircraf used by the Red Arrows display team (RAF :thumbsupsmileyanim: ) Part of the reserve squardon at Yeovilton, and used to train Fighter Controllers. Reservists also take the pleasure in flying them too.

The Hawk's used for flying training are based at RAF Valley as part of the Advanced Fast Jet Training. Extremely competitive, but for those that make it are then streamed to their Operational Conversion Units (OCU's) be it Typhoon, Harrier, Tornado etc.. New Hawks are almost ready to replace the current batch, which will have an updated glass cockpit.

236853-11045.jpg

Off again this sunday to finish off the course so Il add some more pics when i get back.

haha, I had my Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish on. White dial black genuine rubber strap. the problem is, my camera doesn't seem to focus on the watch face too well, so it would be a bit blurred.

Off again shortly for the final installment, will hopefully have some more pics, and Il try a few wristshots, see how they come out! Btw my instructor wears a rep Dayton, TT. I haven't mentioned it to him, but it is a very nice looking watch!

I finsihed wednsday and have a few more pictures. It was a great experience, both the flying and being immersed in the military environment.

This is a picture of me and another course member, by the side of the aircraft we were flying.

239500-10363.jpg

We aso had a trip in a Commando Sea King which was great fun. This was taken by me literally hanging out of the side door. Flying at 300ft, the vis wasn't too good, with low cloud cover.

239500-10364.jpg

Wrist Shot

239500-10365.jpg

Looking around a Hawk.

239500-10366.jpg

Wannabe. :p

239500-10367.jpg

And a few more pics of formation flying

239500-10368.jpg

239500-10369.jpg

The whole course was courtesy of the Royal Naval Unit at my university. It's partly to promote awareness of the Fleet Air Arm and also as an opportunity for potential aircrew to get a taster of military flying. Quite possibly the best 10 days of my life so far, I had an excellent time, and I can't wait to get airbourne again at my local flying club!!