When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Full Modded 028A

sssurfer

Your 027 is a beauty. Also date+cyclops are not bad at all either. Unable to say anything about the crown on this pic, but it is the easiest fix of all, if ever. Congrats!

Thanks, as yours is. What I am trying to determine here is the problem with the crown. Maybe I'm not seeing something you can see. What is the issue with the crown? Tim

What is the issue with the crown?

Typically, rep crowns are a little (0.1mm) thinner than gens, and/or have a more rounded shape that make them look thinner:

238642-10578.jpg

You may also verify it by comparing my watch with the first gen pic posted above.

Typically, rep crowns are a little (0.1mm) thinner than gens, and/or have a more rounded shape that make them look thinner:

238654-10575.jpg

You may also verify it by comparing my watch with the first gen pic posted above.

Thanks for the great illustration. Very useful. Since you're a good teacher, would you be able to describe the difference between the rep and gen crown guards? People are always commenting about this issue, but I've never been able to see the difference. Thanks :thumbsupsmileyanim:

238672-10557.jpg

Oh, rats, now you've gone and given me a problem! Where do I find an correct after market crown for this thing! Rats!

Tim

Oh, rats, now you've gone and given me a problem! Where do I find an correct after market crown for this thing! Rats!

Really sorry, you asked for it.

Correct PVD crowns are almost impossible to source. Two have recently gone on the bay. Palpatine said he would provide, but he currently seems MIA and I myself am waiting for the crown I paid since 9 months ago now.

Correct SS crowns should be a little easier to find. Ask the members for a second-hand one, or wait for palpatine's return. :(

would you be able to describe the difference between the rep and gen crown guards? People are always commenting about this issue, but I've never been able to see the difference.

I'll try, even if this is somewhat more complex than with the crown.

In the following pic you may compare a gen CG with a typical very bad rep CG.

At a first glance you can see that the CGs differ about:

A ) the overall shape (the rep is more domed);

B ) as a consequence of A) and of the thinner crown, the room between the crown and the CG is wider in the rep;

C ) the shape of the lever tip, and especially its distance from the side of the watch is larger in the rep.

238756-10518.jpg

At a second glance, you may notice that the gen surface is more refinished, with a somehow 'convex' (domed) look and borders a little smoothed. And that the hole of the lever pin is not placed centrally, but a little shifted towards the crown. These are more visible in this other genuine pic:

238756-10519.jpg

Other differences may be noticed from a side view. Have a look at this post by Maikel:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...40748&st=15

Finally, to make the things even more complicated, on some genuine models the lever is not placed centrally but shifted a little towards the upper side of the CG, as you can see in this pic (also notice the smooth border of the screw hole):

238756-10520.jpg

I took that very bad CG just as an extreme example, I'm not suggesting that current rep CGs are that way. But on that example you may get general hints on what to look for.