When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cape Cod cloth on brushed steel

stockey

Am i the only one using the cape cod cloth on brushed steel ,they say on the package not to do it,but i have been using lightly on brushed steel and it gives the brushed steel a shinier finish without loosing that brushed steel look,a bit more like a Gen.

Edited by stockey

I have used it on my submariner bracelets and it works fine. Cape Cod is a light polish and would take a lot of time and elbow grease to turn a brushed sub bracelet into a mirror finish. The sub bracelets always need a thorough cleaning too. The cleaning goes almost as far as the polishing. And, some bracelets don't need any Cape Cod work at all, such as the Ingenieur.

Argh?! Why polish?

Any sweat marks or dust I remove with a dry or slightly damp cloth. Refinishing brushed surfaces that have become scuffed or scratched I use a kitchen sponge with the green scourer on one face of them, lightly moistened. The cheap ones are best as they are generally softer - branded ones tend to be too harsh. Always rub them in the same direction as the original brushed finish.

For preserving the finish I use a clear, non abrasive liquid car wax. No polishes!!

You'd be surprised at how little polishing it takes to remove a brushed finish - very little!

I've gone to town with Cape Cod. If you're hand rubbing (i.e. not using a dremel), you're not going to accidentally put a mirror finish on a brushed piece with Cape Cod. And even if you did, 4/0 steel wool is your friend. :)

Have to agree that the Cape Cod can add more of that "gemlike" sheen you see in the AD, under the 100 watt halogen light, when holding a gen in your hand. As I am not diving with most of my diver watches, I don't have to worry about a flash of silver attracting a Great White or a pack of hungry Barracuda. If anything, I WANT a little shine to show the Barracuda in my work waters what's under the sleve :)

Have to agree that the Cape Cod can add more of that "gemlike" sheen you see in the AD, under the 100 watt halogen light, when holding a gen in your hand. As I am not diving with most of my diver watches, I don't have to worry about a flash of silver attracting a Great White or a pack of hungry Barracuda. If anything, I WANT a little shine to show the Barracuda in my work waters what's under the sleve :)

You gotta post some pics of reps underwater! I've been waiting to see reps used in real applications!

Cheers