When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New line of Rolex

stilty

Thoughts on the new line that was revealed at Baselworld?

I've seen some pics at the dealer for the new line that was just released at baselworld. I was told they won't hit the stores until 2008.

You can see them now posted at Rolex.com.

My faves are the Milguass and Airking. The new Yacht-master II is a bit too busy for me. The ceramic bezel GMT-II is pretty cool too.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=24335 :whistling:

My thoughts in that thread....

"Whilst I share the majority's consensus of horror and revulsion, I must say I'm not surprised in the least. Rolex lost the plot some time ago IMHO and have become a parody...like the CEO of Jacob went on 'job swap'. Even the most conservative of the new models - the SS Anniv. GMT - is merely what most diehard purist Rolex fans wanted to see at BW 2006 instead of the FG/TT monstrosities they launched. That decision alone spoke volumes in that they had lost touch not just with their core customers, but tragically with their own heritage, and once you go down that road.....:unsure:

One could argue that the blinged-out versions are only mirroring current trends (as opposed to setting them :brow: ) but whilst the 'ice pepsi' raises a wry smile, the rest are....actually words fail me. And as for the Milgauss reissue :blink: my god, what are these people thinking??? Sure the vintage models are highly collectable/valuable now as with the 1655s, but that's based on perceived rarity and limited production. The watch was a commercial failure last time and it will be no different now. There is no market for this watch IMO. Christ they even made the thing look ugly...those tan/orange indices and orange lightning second hand??? What is it, a case of planetoceanitis??? No no no :nono:

Oh and it gets even worse with the YMII - yes, they've even bastardized the classic YM!!! I mean, the name like that on the bezel??? And the dial??? Are these people on drugs? Either it's some bad [censored], or it's a case of 'emperor's new clothes' in the design department. Truly, if I wanted an interesting/innovative chrono with Regatta timer that actually looked classic/tasteful I'd much rather have the new (and long-delayed) Tag Heuer Calibre S.

*whirrrrr....whirrrr*....you hear that??? That's Hans Wilsdorf spinning in his grave.

I personally think that the functionality of the YM ii is good ... the other YM really had nothing to to do with sailing what so ever at least this one can be used for for what it says on the dial... i agree that it could have been styled more tastefully ... again i felt that when the new Generation of rolexes- the ones that came out with the etched rehauts and the like- that the good folks at Rolex lost it. I personally don't think that the late Han's Wilsdorf (Mr. Rolex) would have appoved... in fact i am certain he was rolling in his grave when they released the leopard print Daytona. It is really a shame that the new rollies have gone down the garish tasteless road ... imo less has always been more. I hope they keep tool watches like the Sub and the SD austere and low key ...the Milgaus is certainly looks promising ... i feel that Rolex should do more throw backs... ok the Prince Looks rubbish ... but wouldn't be cool to have a modern Double Red or California dial sub or even a bubble back or possibly a nicer looking prince (more like the original but with the new movement) !!!!