When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tourbillon question

jkerouac

I'm wondering, if you buy a tourbillon, does it take unusual skills to service them? In other words, would any better than average watchsmith be able to properly service this kind of complication -- or would you have to find a smithy who has a more specialized skillset? And would the service charge be comparable to say a chrono, for example, would it be more expensive, or would it be less expensive?

For the premium that a tourbillon commands, and the unique (delicate even?) nature of the complication, I would not want to treat it as a disposable item.

Outside of an authorised dealer...and one whose technicians have been trained in tourbillon repairs......you are highly unlikely to find a street repair outlet....watchsmith ...who has seen a Tourbillon....never mind knows how to repair one......remember that 'cheap' Tourbillons are very new.....and not many have worked their way into the general populace....!

Tourbillons have always been expensive........until Gerd Lang introudced a Chronoswiss with a Progress flying tourbillon....and brought the price down to an acceptable level....$40,000+ (?).......after that many other companies started to introduce their own tourbillons ( with Progress base movement ).......then the Chinese developed a one minute flying tourbillon....( not 100% sure....but I think it was Million Smart Co / Seagull that developed it )......with the result that you can now buy a $1000 flying minute tourbillon......!

Omega have just introduced IMHO the most beautiful tourbillon ever.......a centrally mounted flying tourbillon........absolutely gorgeous.....and right up there with the best manufacture............mind you.......Rolex has the new Yachtmaster........:lol:

239998-10123.jpg

Edited by TTK

Thanks Neil. That is a gorgeous watch. Let us know when the rep becomes available. :whistling:

My context, as you deduced, has less to do with the $40,000 tourbys, but the much less costly, but still expensive (in my opinion) tourbys that you see every now and then.

I think every collector needs to decide at what point they intend to service their watches as they age, or simply replace them. For me that point would be somewhere between $200 and $300 original cost, although that could vary up or down depending on how fond I am of the watch. Even at the much lower price points for a rep tourby, I would not consider it a throwaway under any circumstances, so serviceability would be huge issue for me with these watches.