When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what Phoband has been up to

fotoman

Very nice! How do they feel to play? I was considering selling my DW to get an electric kit. That's a sturdy looknig stool you have there too!!

they feel fantastic. Go down to your local music store and play the roland kits.

I recomend the roland modules - best sounds

but the hart dynamics drums, feel the same if not better and cheaper

cymbals are mixed. I love the hart ride and hi-hat, they are metal with rubber coating

the crashes and splashes i like the rolands, they are rubber (not cheap plastic)

i also ike these splashes that i got from a guy in the UK called kit toys

there is a forum on vdrums.com where i learned all this and got all the vendors for all my stuff www.vdrums.com got great deals on everything. this kit was cheaper - even going lots of retail routes than the standard 4 tom 3 cymbal Roland top of the line kit. and i will have the same brain. In fact its 1500 cheaper. and i have 4 toms and 8 cymbals

of course cymbals are the cheapest part of the kit. but - that includes upgrades on the cage as well.

if you are really serious about wanting to do it. I have a very good knowledge at this point of stuff you can do in all price ranges. i just recomended a used kit for a singer friend fo mine wants to hone his sklls for 500 bucks including everything. its not great, but it is mesh heads and it will work.

The key is the price range and the level of quality and sound. The biggest expense is the module/ brain. its half hte price of the kit.

Your DW kit won't be worth much. I'm not even selling my Yamaha maple custom kit cause it just doesn't seem worth it as it would barely pay for the brain unit. unless your happy with one of the cheaper brain units. I wanted the best one, cause i wanted more cymbals and soem sound ability.

for sound, check out http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/ they make pre-modeled kits for the roland modules, the more expensive the module the more available and better sounding.

i'm getting the TD20 and i got it for 1575 shipped - new from a guy on the forum.

also check out drumbalya.com - it has the best selection of e/vdrum stuff, the perfect clones of the e drum world if you will :)http://drumbalaya.com/

there are competitors but this place has the best site.

I took about 2 months to really read up, try different stuff out at the stores. My kit design evolved signifigantly over that time. as i realized that i wanted smaller drums 10 vs. 12 inch and i didn't want a standard hi hat as i wanted the pedal deeper back for my long legs

With the exception fo possibly having gone with more 8 inch rack toms isntead of the 10 its now PERFECT. very little full arm and body movement to reach everything. I can do just about everything on the kit and keep my elbows at the sides of my body. Less motion, less fatigue, you don't have to hit as hard to create that rock sound.

Its about precision, accuracy, and stick control.

OH and you have to get ahead sticks, they are synthetic, but get rid of that vibrating bounce feel that you get with wood sticks in hitting rubber pads. they are 30 bucks but they never wear out. makes ALL the difference in the world. Maybe worth it to get them in order to try out the kits.

i also bought a 100 dollar 8 inch roland pad on ebay to use as a practice pad to work on chops with the mesh heads as i was still working on what to do with the kit. found that very useful.

i actually have a 13 inch snare from hart and a full highhat stand from them, brand new from the kit that i'm going to sell for a very nice price if you want to get a jump start :)

for me it worked otu better to get the more expensive kit and then sell stuff i wasn't going touse instead of getting the smaller one and buying the tuff i wanted to ad on.

i don't have the brain unit yet, but, basically, you can't go wrong if you want to preserve your hearing get a killer tone from your drums and be able to practice without driving everyone up the wall :)

videos will be posted when i get it sounding good, could take a few weeks. Lots of programming in the module to do and tweaking. I bought over 300 ad on kits to worok from to get the perfect sounds