When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW Rolex Submariner 1680 White: Pictorial

Stephane

Dear All,

This is another Rolex MBW that I got from the group buy, the Submariner 1680.

Once again, look at this as a Noob Eyecandy more than a review.

There have been so many fantastic posts about this watch here that it would be silly to not mention them. You will find some links at the end of my post, but I would recommend to do a search...tons of information are right here, on RWG.

I think some members might like to see pictures of the version of this MBW 1680 which is available right now though.  This is the only purpose of my post :rolleyes: .

About the deal

Still not adding any comments about this group buy as TTK has his faithful members anyway, aswell as some very bad comments. So, I'm very happy with my deals so far and that's it. ;)

About the gen

Brand: Rolex

Series: Submariner

Model No: 1680

Case Material: Stainless Steel

Dial Color: Black

Bracelet / Strap: Stainless Steel

Movement: Automatic

Crystal: Plexi

Crown: Screw Down

Case Back: Solid

Water Resistant: 2000m/660ft.

Price range: 4.000 $ / 3.000 € for the white one and 5.700 $ / 4.200 € for the red one.

The 1680 was introduced in the mid 60s and  also introduced cyclops date magnifier to the Submariner line. The 1680 also marked the philosophical transition of the Submariner from a pure "tool watch" built for serious divers to also being built and sold as a luxury sports watch. I say this, because the 1680 was the first reference to be sold in a steel and gold version ("two-tone" or "bi-metal") and also in an 18 carat gold model. (http://www.vintagesubmariner.com/vintagesubs.html)

Here is a couple of picture of gens I've stolen from the net.

Gen01.jpg

Gen02.jpg

About TTK's MBW

It's powered by an Eta 2836-2. I will not comment it as, once again, there are enough information about these MBWs on RWG.

No comments are needed anyway as I sincerely think By-Tor cover it all in his review saying:

"How good these replica watches are? Are they indistinguishable from the genuine...right out of box?

Short answer is no. If you take my "red 1680" for example... almost everything in that watch is a bit wrong, except the exact case dimensions (save the crown protector guards which (at unmodded state) are quite far from the "genuine look"). These watches make excellent base for modifications, because of their rare ability to take genuine parts. But the red 1680 model is still far from "perfect". Actually, there are many other, much cheaper Rolex replicas that look much more accurate "out of box" than MBW 1680. So if you're not willing to invest lots of money on a rep, don't like building and modifying them, I suggest to find cheaper and better alternatives. But if you want a good vintage Rolex replica and are a bit adventurous, there are no serious alternatives."

Conclusion

One more great purchase from TTK and let the mods begins.

I will continue my MBW collection from him as there are no other better way to go ;-)

Thanks for reading, and now let's see the pictures.

Pictorial

Please note that the scratches are due to the fact I wore this watch when moving home a week ago  :bounce: ! Not a big deal as I love scratches and signs of wear on my watches.

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_04.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_03.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_02.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_05.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_06.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_07.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_08.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_09.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_10.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_11.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_12.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_13.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_14.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_15.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_16.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_17.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_20.jpg

RolexSubmariner1680_MBW_800_01.jpg

Links

Falcos link isHERE

By-Tor's thread's link isHERE

Bazz link is interesting too and is HERE

Tribals link is

HERE

Edge's one is HERE

Congrats Stephane, great purchase! Very nice pics too mate.

I personally think that white 1680 and SD are the best vintage MBW's. :)

So what are the mods that you will do to your new baby?

Ah Ah,...well, it's not that easy to mod all my babies and it could take months or even more to fulfill my goal :wounded1: .

I am not at all able to do it myself so I'm going to have them moded by great members of RWG hopefully.

As you know, most of them are overbooked and work hard :bangin: .

As I have a 1680, a SD Great White, a SD Simple Red (and might get a SD Double red soon, not sure yet), let's say I'll have them done in whatever order it is possible.

My goal is to have them all look as close as possible to gens...but I'm patient, no rush.

It's such a fun hobby anyway :yeah: .

On top of that, I'm still looking to have a great Fiddy :bounce:

Now, if anyone with real skills for moding Rollies that I didn't PM yet read this thread and is willing to help me to fullfill my goal, I say it loud:

YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO PM ME

:D

Cheers

Stephane

Congrats Stephane, great purchase! Very nice pics too mate.

I personally think that white 1680 and SD are the best vintage MBW's. :)

Thanks By-Tor.

Allow me to say that because of excellent posts you and some other great members are doing, I feel like being the most lucky noob in the world having the chance to buy them all...

I wish all rep buyer new this place :whistling: ! They would avoid to spend some ridiculous amount of money in BestPerfectUltimate Sub Rep @ 1.250 US :Jumpy:

You're most welcome Stephane. It's members like you who keep this forum going.

I've been very lazy lately... haven't even bought a new watch in almost 5 months now (if upgrading my Nooby to ETA doesn't count). But I have a few nice ones coming... watch this space closely. :)

You're most welcome Stephane. It's members like you who keep this forum going.

I've been very lazy lately... haven't even bought a new watch in almost 5 months now (if upgrading my Nooby to ETA doesn't count). But I have a few nice ones coming... watch this space closely. :)

Can't wait to see you new ones :1a: !