When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Luming sandwich dials - can I paint over old lume?

Tom

As this is the easiest way to practise DIY lume, I thought I would give it a go. I have some Tritec just arrived and have taken the dials apart. However, removing the old rep lume which doesn't really glow at all is proving trickier than you'd expect. I have spent ages scratching away with a screwdriver - it doesn't want to budge.

My question is - Does the old lume really have to be removed, will it make a difference at all? I am tempted to simply lume over the top of it, but as this stuff is the same price as platinum don't want to waste it.

I did the same thing with my 111h... I separated the sandwich dial and relumed over the old lume. The result was perfect imho. That, however, is the easy part, because the upper dial will cover up your faults.

Reluming hands to fit the new dial... that is a totally different story and I pretty much screwed up mine... I have a lot of respect for lume-masters like The Zigmeister and Co....

Try using chemical means rather than physical means.

Lume paint is done with a thinner, so any thinner (acetone, 'avio' solvent, or so) should help in removing it.

I just wonder what kind of lume you stumbled upon, as I removed the lume off from my sandwich dial in a breeze... :blink:

Sure it will make a difference. Brightness and duration are related (to a certain extent) with the thickness of the lume paint.

If you double the lume thickness you might find troubles in re-fitting the hands on the dial. Been there, done that...