When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Movements in Reps

ettienne

After searching for a vintage 8 day movement that could be modded and messed with to be fit into a rep 203, I started thinking...do I really want to do this? This is an old eight day movement. What if after all this work...$$$, I drop the watch, need a part for it...or worse, lose it...I ended up keeping the eight day in a small pocketwatch and installing a Unitas in my rep instead. The movement is cheap and reliable. Weigh in on this, all you who make homages and reps of vintage watches...since we're never really making exact replications of these rare or extinct models, isn't it a lot of work and expense to end up with what is an older movement and one that will be difficult to fix if it breaks? I guess its the age old question of why we buy reps if, after all...they're reps, not gens. Is it out of wanting to feel like we've pulled a fast one...achieved near perfection in looks and quality to the discerning eye of gen owners all the while knowing we saved thousands? Or are we seriously deluded by a near perfect replication into thinking that we own an original piece? For me, I prefer creations that nod to other ideas but don't aspire to copy any of them outright...it's more about the artistry of the maker I suppose.

If you have a display window, I think it is worth it. The older movements have a depth and richness that far surpass the modern movements. I now use unmarked customize dials without Pam markings.

Here is an example of a Hamilton 921 pocket watch movement that I am putting in a Tourby case.

Regards.

post-446-1178647777_thumb.jpg

If you have a display window, I think it is worth it. The older movements have a depth and richness that far surpass the modern movements. I now use unmarked customize dials without Pam markings.

Here is an example of a Hamilton 921 pocket watch movement that I am putting in a Tourby case.

Regards.

post-446-1178647777_thumb.jpg

I totally agree. That movement is well worth it. And using a no name dial, even adding your own engraving will make it your own...it becomes a watch with a story instead of just a copy of a fantastically overpriced timekeeper. I'd love to see it when you're done.