When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

swiss/asian - swan neck ETA 6497

dadog13

I am so confused right now...maybe because I haven't slept OK for the past 5 nights or because I have so much things to think except about watches or just maybe because it 2 a.m. or mostly beleivable because I know s**t about movements :bicycle: ...but I am really confused regarding the swiss and asian swan neck movement ETA 6497...I have looked on many posts by members, pics of mvt by dealers (with all of the misrepresentation I do not know what to think :blink: )...

I have found few different types of swan neck...read the vacuum post about the needle vs dagger and some other posts...but still haven't really understood what to look on the pics and what's the main difference about the two that it makes so easilly to differentiate...

please look at this pic and tell me what kind of mvt is this...

Edited by dadog13

The "classic" Asian copy version doesnt have the surrounding Swan's neck (the metal part that the regulator can hit if turned to far up or down).

The thinner "non-dagger" is known as the Swiss ETA 6497 "Swan Neck" with the surrounding metal (as described above).

The version with the "dagger" appears to be a mix of parts from the Swiss ETA 6497 and some Asian parts. It has the metal surrounding the regulator (dagger) area, but I believe The Zigmeister found that there were some potential problems.

Sorry I didnt get a chance to look at your attached pics, I'm about to go to bed.

i think this one is a dagger swan neck movement...as far as i remember tourbillon said it was a 100% asian movement...and I interprete that as an ETA movement assembled in Asia? right?

and if I got all this story right, there should be also an swiss swan neck movement, called like that "swiss" because assembled in Switzerland?!

dunno how I tought that there is an asian copy of the 6497 with swan neck movement?! I know for sure about the asian copies of the 6497 without the swan neck regulator...

the story goes on...

Guest avitt

Nobody really knows all the answers to your questions. For instance, the "needle" version is called "Swiss", but actually contains many Asian parts. Tourbi states that the "dagger" version is 100% Asian, but I suspect that the main plates are actually Swiss (we know that the "[censored]" configuration was used on early Unitas 6497 movements...why would the Chinese use this as a model, if they were going to build a movement from scratch?)

I agree with avitt.

I think the mainplate is Swiss, old stock 6497, I say old stock, because of the dial attachment screws, they are on the sides of the mainplate, just like the old pocket watches are.

The single sided pallet holder is also the giveaway on this model.

From my inspection, the gears etc are Asian, since the ETA ones are very distinctive under the loupe in their finish. The problem with these models was the hairspring touching the balance or bridge, but of the ones I have seen lately, that problem is fixed.

Good movement overall, has a few quirks when winding (click feeling) but overall not a concern.

RG

I agree with avitt.

I think the mainplate is Swiss, old stock 6497, I say old stock, because of the dial attachment screws, they are on the sides of the mainplate, just like the old pocket watches are.

The single sided pallet holder is also the giveaway on this model.

From my inspection, the gears etc are Asian, since the ETA ones are very distinctive under the loupe in their finish. The problem with these models was the hairspring touching the balance or bridge, but of the ones I have seen lately, that problem is fixed.

Good movement overall, has a few quirks when winding (click feeling) but overall not a concern.

RG

tnx The Zigmeister! and tnx avitt and chronus!