When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ferrari watches.....

robideaux

crossover marketing ploys.... i can't stand them. i was flipping through PC world only to see an ad for an acer ferrari logo computer. what business does the ferrari logo -- a symbol of what i understand to be (i'm not really into cars) a fine automobile -- have being placed on a laptop or a wristwatch? i can understand someone describing a machine of equivalent elegance and artistry as the "ferrari of watches" or the "ferrari of computers." But to simply slap a logo on a top of the line computer or watch and call it a ferrari watch actually turns me off. If anything it seems to denigrate the name, "ferrari" (not that i really care).

So why do i like replica watches? don'y they even more so denigrate companies of prestige? well, my rep collection consists of 3 panerais and 1 franck muller. What i like about them has little to do with prestige and much to do with design principles. The beauty of panerai is all about economy. the majority of their models more or less adhere to this credo. when i first saw panerai i immediately knew i wanted a rep. i had a friend who had one that he bought in china, and a few months later he brought me back one more. it was an awful piece of junk, and broke in a matter of days. i knew i needed a product of higher quality. a google search brought up ioffer.com, which led me to a member of our community who sold me my first rep (PAM113). I then became a member of this community, and subsequently purchased many watches for myself and friends. my next 3 watches were a PAM029B, Franck Muller Conquistador 8005 SC (black), and most recently a PAM217. You might wonder why i ordered a Franck Muller, seeing as my fondness for panerai comes from their simplistic bauhausian design principles. personally, i find the black and red conquistador to be reminiscent of late 19th century victorian gothic/modern design, which i am also equally fond of.

as you see my taste for panerai and franck muller do not stem from a defense of bourgeoise culture and values. for these things i could care less. i do however support the subversion of the artificial upper class. for this reason, i turn my friends on to reps as an alternative. for little mark-up, you can save thousands of dollars and obtain a nice, functional watch, of comparable quality.

forgive my tangent meandering, but back to the ferrari logo. what business does it have on a watch? can anyone shed some light on this? seems kind of ridiculous to my naive self....