When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My titanium Seiko Kinetic leaves black residue

teddy boy

I have a titanium kinetic that I wear when I ride my bicycle. It's a great watch for that, it's light, durable and my sweat doesn't seem to damage the watch or bracelet. The problem I have is that after I ride, there is a black residue on my wrist that looks almost like soot. I would guess that the titanium in the bracelet is reacting with the minerals in my perspiration? Does anyone else have this problem? Is there some way to prevent it? I was just ignoring it, but the last few days I've notice a slight irritation on my skin.

I've got several Ti watches and none of them do this. Maybe your Seiko is just grubby? If it's waterproof give it a good scrub w/brush and soapy water. Even my (inert gold) wedding ring gets cruddy like that and leaves black marks.

Gee, I think you may be on to something. Let's see, I wear it everyday to ride a bicycle, including many summer days in a hot, humid climate. And I never clean it. I guess this is a duh huh. I'll give it a try and report back.

I've got several Ti watches and none of them do this. Maybe your Seiko is just grubby? If it's waterproof give it a good scrub w/brush and soapy water. Even my (inert gold) wedding ring gets cruddy like that and leaves black marks.

I just cleaned it up and got crud out of it similar to what was on my wrist. The watch doesn't even look the same. I realize now that what I thought titanium looked like isn't what it looks like at all. I'm not always the brightest bulb on the tree when it comes to these sorts of things. I'll let you know what happens after I ride today.

Titanium is hypo-allergenic so it shoud never irritate your skin - the same can't be said for a layer of crud !!! :lol:

The watches that my works issues have a nylon strap, and a while ago i had cause to call them all in and check the serial numbers, believe me Teddy boy is not the only one with a dirty strap, some were caked on dead skin and dirt on the inside. I fitted new straps to them all before i re-issued them and passed on a few tips on hygiene at the same time.

Just got in from my ride, surprise surprise, no crud. Thanks Nanuq, I was about to conclude incorrectly that titanium irritated my skin. You can be sure I won't let that happen again.