When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"New New Stock" SMP's any good? (plus a few bonus questions)

davee5

New arrival

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,284

My roomate is very interested in purchasing a Omega SMP blue, im eventually gonna pull the trigger on a PO, but ive read in some places that the omega smp's are not as good as they used to be. as anyone purchased one lately from a dealer? there really hasn't been any talk about them in a while. any advice about where i should purchase my friend's watch? thanks a lot

-mike

davee5

Today, 04:57 AM

Post #2

New arrival

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,287

I would like to second this question since I've got an SMP itch that needs scratching.

By-Tor's recommendations say to be careful about getting "Old Stock" SMP's but I wonder if that was written a while back. I've noticed that since that time all the images I've seen in the dealer's albums show things like the 5-link band instead of the 3-link that seemed to have been connected to the inferior replicas. Does this mean the current "New Stock" is up to snuf (save the bezel alignment and He valve placement)? Can we buy with confident impunity from Silix or Eddie or TTK or Joshua because we can expect that they all have watches from the same sources?

On a related note I regularly need to time things for my work in manufacturing and covet (read think I can justify) a chronograph. I've been eyeing the classic "Moonwatch" but I love the look of the Seamaster Chronograph. Does anyone make a rep of that model (model 2599.80)?

Last related question: I've been traveling to China, Shanghai area, very regularly for 2-3 week stints. Would I get faster delivery by shipping to China? I know from experience that I can get through customs very easily by walking, perhaps easier than a package would. Do any dealers deal with China easily, or perhaps out of Shanghai?

Thanks for dealing with the smattering of queries!