When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is there a rep that you would wear into an AD?

teddy boy

As I said when I posed the question, I wasn't asking because I want to do it or think it's a good idea. What I am curious to know is whether the general opinion is that there are reps that have gotten that good. A better way to frame my question would be, is there a rep out there that is so good that the only way to know for sure is by opening the case? The scam artists claim that's true of their rolexes, but we all know that's not the case. As I stated intitially, all you would have to do with the rolex is shake and wind the movement. It sounds as though as good as reps have become, there is nothing that would pass really close scrutiny from a knowledgeable person.

To address the boldened question, I guess it really depends on how knowledgeable the sales person is that you speak to. An experienced watchsmith thought my Submariner was genuine until he opened the case, so yes, there are definitely reps available that will pass scrutiny, depending on who is looking at it. The thing is though, what's the point. Rhetorically speaking, is it so important to have a watch which is 100% accurate to a gen, and if so, why? The only reason I can think of, is to try and pass it off as gen. 'Flaws' and variation are what make reps fun. (as well as being a better value for money buy than a gen brand watch)

It sounds as though as good as reps have become, there is nothing that would pass really close scrutiny from a knowledgeable person.

I'd say that no reps would pass the inspection of a suspicious knowledgeable person. If you're in there paying for a Rolex Daytona, you could have on a Noobmariner and they'd never even suspect it.

Oh, and people vastly overestimate the possibility that the person in front of them is knowledgeable. Most AD salesmen wouldn't know a 111h from a 183g.

I have never used one of my reps into and AD , but while fixing an old quartz CRABA in a nice place in Old Orchard in Chicago; the manager of the place came to me and said" That is a Panerai is not it" "nice watch I used to work for the AD here in Chicago and love them all" I was wearing my 177h Daviidsen and all of the sales reps went crazy offering me coffe cookies you name it....

I've worn plenty of reps into AD's but the trick is never to hand it over, I just pop my own watch into a pocket while trying on all theirs. The sales people woiuld never know the difference anyway, but be careful of the shop owner or the in-house watchmaker, those guys tend to know their stuff much better.

To address the boldened question, I guess it really depends on how knowledgeable the sales person is that you speak to. An experienced watchsmith thought my Submariner was genuine until he opened the case, so yes, there are definitely reps available that will pass scrutiny, depending on who is looking at it. The thing is though, what's the point. Rhetorically speaking, is it so important to have a watch which is 100% accurate to a gen, and if so, why? The only reason I can think of, is to try and pass it off as gen. 'Flaws' and variation are what make reps fun. (as well as being a better value for money buy than a gen brand watch)

The question is interesting to me at several levels, but partially because it tells us something about the manufacturing cost of the gens. If you can make a rep that is indistinguishable and sell it for a couple of hundred bucks then the manufacturing cost can't be that much higher for the gen. I realize that the movements are better in the gens (even when they use the same movment, it's usually finished a lot nicer) ,the gens have true sapphire glass where the reps probably don't usually and the gens use higher quality ss. But those things can't possibly add up to thousands of dollars in manufacturing costs. That's my interest in asking the question. You see, I'm an economist and these channel distribution questions interest me.

It also interests me in terms of how perfect the buyers want the rep to be. My sense since coming to this forum is that the most knowledgeable buyers like a lower priced item with imperfections so they have something to mod. It seems that part of the interest for the most hard core is taking a good rep and making it nearly perfect with one's own skill and ingeneuity.