When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ebay rule of thumb?

BMWrolex

When I look for watches on ebay, it upsets me to see watches being sold from Hong Kong, China, or anywhere in Asia. Those being sold espically from people who have < 10 feedback rating.

As soon as I see watches that arn't being sold in the states (or any respectable european countries), I pass them off as a 90% chance of being a fake. What do you ebay experts think about this?

So you guys are saying that even the power sellers from the states that are describing them as 100% genuine don't even know that they are selling fakes? I want to buy a used gen on ebay but I can't say im too experienced in the auction field.... You guys think I should stay clear?

My one warning for eBay is to make sure and read the feedback as well. I often will see people with positive feedback and decent numbers of transactions, but then you look at the feedback and it's all recent (often minutes or seconds apart) from obviously fake accounts. This was the case when I was looking for a video camera last year.

Some people just look at the seller, see that he has 50 feedbacks with 100% positive and think that it means everything's fine. I don't buy from anyone with less than 100 feedbacks and who doesn't have a history of selling a particular type of item e.g. buying a watch from someone who has 1000 feedbacks on selling candy. Might be legit but also might be a stolen account. I'm not a fan of gambling.

I wouldn't consider buying a gen watch from Asia given that that's where the reps come from.