When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

V72 Copy in Venus/Lemania case?

archibald

Sorry about my lack of research (I'm sure there are 167 threads on this on the old site) but I just received an offer for a v72 copy movement so cheap that I think is going to go almost immediately.

Will the V72 copy fit in a case built for the "venus" copy? I don't really care about the hands/subdial spacing, etc since the hands and dial will be swapped out--I'm just worrying if the depth and diameter of my venus case will be sufficient or too-sufficient.

Also, I just bought a dial to fit the Lemania 1870 movement. Anyone know I can use it w/ the either venus copy or my soon-to-be v72 copy, or if I'll be screwed by the spacing?

Thanks in advance!

What are you trying to retrofit the movement in? Vintage Daytona case? or some other sort of chronograph watch?

A couple of items to note-

-Pusher spacing as Euno mentioned. The V72/V23's reset pusher is much more offset than the start/stop. You can probably fabricate something to work, but it's something to consider.

-Subdial spacing. The subdials may be slightly different.

-Hands for the 'copy' V72/V23 may be a difficult thing to source. Hands for an actual V72, I believe, are not a direct fit on the copy.

-Actual fitting of the movement- The stem hole may not line up correctly in the case the venus was in. It might require a spacer, or modification of the case to get alignment correct.

-Reliability- The Copy V72/V23 is sometimes a crap shoot. Just never know how good/bad it might be.

Of course, if the price is sub $50, it would be worth getting. Any more than that, and it might not be cost effective.

Just my $0.02...

Best,

Randy

Thanks for the very useful infor Finepics and ubiquitous.

Because I am a dope, this is for yet another muller franken--even though I haven't finished one yet because the hands do not exist on planet earth--I just bought an OEM ronde chronograph dial from the early 90's--muller made some powered by heavily decorated NOS V72's and some by the lemania 1870--I won't know which till I get it.

Looks like I'm screwed either way--the subdial sapcing on the 1870 is different than the venus and 1870's are nearly impossible to find (and afford)--and if the dial is for the v72 version, I'll have to worry about the pushers or have a new case milled, keeping the bezel and back the same, which sounds really expensive.

And then of course there is the same old problem----hands hands hands. Someday, though, I'll find a cheap source for custom hands.

Anyway, thanks again guys.

Thanks for the very useful infor Finepica and ubiquitous.

Because I am a dope, this is for yet another muller franken--even though I haven't fished one yet because the hands do not exist on planet earth--I just bought an OEM ronde chronograph dial from the early 90's--muller made some powered by heavily decorated NOS V72's and some by the lemania 1870--I won't know which till I get it.

Looks like I'm screwed either way--the subdial sapcing on the 1870 is different than the venus and 1870's are nearly impossible to find (and afford)--and if the dial is for the v72 version, I'll have to worry about the pushers or have a new case milled, keeping the bezel and back the same, which sounds really expensive.

And then of course there is the same old problem----hands hands hands. Someday, though, I'll find a cheap source for custom hands.

Anyway, thanks again guys.

Not sure if it's any use but I have a Poljot 3133 for sale (VJ 34). The measurements for it are:

Sub dial spacing - 15.90

Sub seconds (left hand sub dial) - .18

Sub minutes (right hand subdial) - .20

Centre seconds - .26

Cannon Pinion - .90

Hour wheel - 1.40

the venus movement is 14" when the valjoux is 13" so the VJ should fit the venus case, I don't think asymetrical pushers would be problematic, I've seen lemania fitted on DW cases with asymetric pushers...so maybe you could do the inverse swap?

I'd be more concerned about the tickness o both that could make it impossible to fit on the FM case.