When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM CG lever question

sssurfer

PAM CG lever question  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Does the lever rotate around the pin, or pin and lever rotate together?

• Pin stays firm and lever rotates around it
    • Both pin and lever rotate together
    • Pin rotates a little, but not solidally with the lever
    • Varying with any single watch

I am currently thinking about the best fix for the loose lever problem in PAM luminors.

I need some preliminary info from gen owners. It's easy to help me, you just need to open and close your lever while looking at the lever pin (by a loupe, if you like).

According to you, is the pin rotating solidly with the lever (i.e. they both rotate together), or does the lever rotate around the pin while the pin stays firm?

Thanks,

:sss:

@Moderators: I know this owns to the Upgrade Section, I thought to post here in order to gain visibility since many gen owners are not supposed to check that section frequently. This is the only topic I am going to post here about the matter, I promise that any further developements will go in the proper section. Thanks.

If you stare from the top down the pin appears to be better finished (not just a circle) but David is right that the key is the rubber sleeve on the pin. The easiest fix would be to take a rubber sleeve from a Jimmy Fu crown guard and duplicate it. That is the biggest plus to his crown guards for which he gets $55-60. The feeling of opening and closing is a lot closer (read not exact) to the gen crown guard.

Agreed. In fact Jimmys CG's are the same as some of the rep ones. You can tell by looking at the inside. Some are laser cut and have jagged edges (the subs are a good example) and others are properly machined like the one on my PAM 28, which is the same as Jimmys except for the silicone rubber sleeve. You could probably use the insulation from some electrical cable to do the job.

The CG I got from Jimmy had a problem in that the pin was not tight in the CG and would have just fallen out were it not for the sleeve.

Thanks folks, it makes sense that the pin does not rotate, but I wanted to be sure.

Actually, fitting a sleeve around the pin seems possible only if the sleeve is covering just the central portion of the pin, the portion that goes inside the lever. Conversely, if the sleeve covers all the pin (i.e. also its portions that go into the crown guard holes), it is impossible to fit the pin+sleeve whole again into the CG holes. This is because the holes for the pin in the CG are smaller than the hole in the lever -- as expected if the pin has to be solid with the CG.

So, it seems that the solution is made from two parts:

1) a reliable substitute for the rubber sleeve;

2) a way to get the pin ends solid with the crown guard.

Good, thanks again!