When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hi fellow WISes...

Hi All,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Anton, longtime watch collector, first-time internet WIS. (sounds like an Al-Anon intro).

I found this forum through a google search to better my knowledge. I'm a member on lots of gen forums; and now proudly a member of this forum. Here's my story:

I came to this forum because I was duped into buying a PAM113 on craigslist. A rep paying gen money for (about $1700). The irony is that I went to a certain reference site and did all the homework. Somehow, I still ended up taking this rep home. I'd have laughed it off if it were a good rep (like those on Josh and Andrew's sites), but compared to those, this was out of their league. Hour font was bolder, "SWISS MADE" indication instead of "L SWISS MADE L", no SNR, and lume on the 5 and 8 were off-center. I found out because I wore it to an AD. I walked in with the rep, walked out with a gen on my wrist; rep in the box. The good thing about the rep was that it was a pretty good Asian 6497 (save for a short power reserve).

I own about 15 gens, ranging from a Swatch (daily wearer) to a Vacheron (bi-weekly wearer). Anyone knows that this is an expensive habit. I made the jump to the other side for two reasons:

1) The crowd I "hang" with could care less what's on my wrist and never even acknowledge half of the brands that I own, except for Swatch and Rolex. (That's one extreme)

2) The crowd in the neighborhood I live (land of pompous men and large shoulder-bag carrying women) seems to think that there are only two brands the "rich" wear (and they're not Lange or VC). I think you all know what they are.

------------------------------------------------------

At first, I hated the prospect of being associated with wearing a rep, but after enough convincing by my wife (her justification was rep handbags), I realized that when worn with pride, no one would assume that YOU are wearing a rep (unless you happen to be sitting next to a guy who wears the same watch as you).

I noticed I come here often because the members are more knowledgeable than the members on those gen forums. You all have an eye for detail and from being here (and not of those gen forums), I learned how to spot a rep from a mile away (this is literally true when it comes to Breitlings).

So a rep is not at all negative, as I previously have thought. It's actually positive and I always learn something new everyday from here. Now I own two reps (not good ones, but reps nonetheless) and am actually happy I own them.