When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Second Waterproof Test - Planet Ocean Black

TJGladeRaider

This is one of the 43mm Planet Oceans that Ms.King sells for a little over $200. I bought them in both Orange and Black. She claims that they are water proof to some degree and has pictures of them in an aquarium. I tested them in a pressure tester to 4 Bar, or the equivalent of a dive to 132 feet.

post-223-1145333276_thumb.jpg This is how the machine sets up.

post-223-1145333308_thumb.jpg Once the pressure is built up to 4Bar, the pressure is slowly released and the watch is dropped into the water. For a more complete explanation, see the first test.

In the next pictures you can see an air bubble forcing itself out of the spring bar as it expands. You can also see a tiny bubble at the edge of the bezel at the 1:00 position. I interpreted that to be air bleeding out thru a leaky crystal (this is new to me) but I was mistaken. Just as air trapped in the spring bar bubbles out, air trapped under the bezel bubbles out too.

I verified this with four factory fresh gen diving watches I have - a Stratosphere (I love that watch), a Luminox SEAL watch, and a couple of Seikos. Believe me, when you see a real leak, you know it, as I found out later with a junk Rolex Sub.

post-223-1145333316_thumb.jpg

The bubble at the 1:00 position isn't tiny anymore. You can't miss it now.

post-223-1145333327_thumb.jpg

The next two show that nothing much happens as the pressure is released.

post-223-1145333340_thumb.jpgpost-223-1145333355_thumb.jpg

post-223-1145333294_thumb.jpg This is interesting. Note the bubbles in the notches for the removal tool. It almost looks like air is bleeding thru the case back - it's not of course. Those bubbles are tiny to the point that they aren't really visible when the watch is immersed and then they expand to four times that size as the pressure is released. That is the same thing that is going on under the bezel.

Bottom line, a couple of bubbles attributable to air trapped that exanded - nothing compared to what I got from my Gens and being a high time DiveMaster (2000+ Hrs underwater), I know very well that the Seikos I tested are waterproof.

This watch is exactly as it came out of the bubble wrap.

Very nice watch Ms. King.

Bill

Edited by TJGladeRaider