When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

building "perfect" pam from scratch

evilboy

let's say we want to build the best pam rep up to date, let it be 111 coz it is so popular, what parts would you use? - palp crown, davidsen hands?, reluming and zigi service? what base would you start with? with the current collectors offerings, available additional parts and services, what would make THE almost "perfect" pam rep?

It maybe this one. I got this watch used at a bargain awhile back with a Swiss H movement swan neck with needle regulator. Originally from Josh. Now it looks like you can get a Swiss swan neck H movement with dagger regulator. I've only seen it on Davidsen's watches. I'd get this movement it's the best I've seen. Get a cheapy 111H and swap the movement, relume the dial, put on Davidsen's hands and add a Palp crown. Doing all this the crown guard is the flaw. If Davidsen's short lugs don't bother you, get his 111H and relume a REP dial and swap it. Now the short lugs is the flaw. Those short lugs will ruining your thick straps. I hope this make sense. :)

257104-6296.jpg

257104-6297.jpg

257104-6298.jpg

257104-6299.jpg

257104-6300.jpg

257104-6301.jpg

257104-6302.gif

Doing all this the crown guard is the flaw.

Now the short lugs is the flaw.

And the "A"! Don't forget the "A"!

BTW, gorgeous watch (and strap) you have there. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

(Nice, evildee replying to evilboy... And someone said 'I see no evil here'). :lol:

I would actually ~ build some other model :) as 111 Dial isn't near perfect (yet).

I would use Palp crown, JF's CG and case, standard sausage dial (probably Pam 001B), OP 6518 caseback (B-series), and "Swiss" Unitas (older B series movement w/o swan neck), and put it together. Also superlume the dial with C1 & C3 mix, fix the cannon pin, secure the CG lever, and put a Greg Steven's CH~ :)

I think this is as good as it gets, IMO - and also it's almost the same watch as 111.

Joe

I'd do what I have already done - I'm waiting for its safe return from The Zigmeister.

A genuine Panerai preA1 tritium dial, gen tritium hands, gen crown, gen crownguard, gen stem, Jimmy fu case/bezel, sapphire crystal, CDG decorated ETA/Unitas 6497 movement (same stripe pattern and sunburst wheels as genuine preA), cannon pin fix with ETA parts and a preA caseback from Davidsen.

I got mine fitted with Jimmy Fu's see through caseback so that I can admire the movement for a while but I'll fit the caseback later for accuracy.

I think that this is as close to a perfect PAM as it gets and the preA dial with its recessed fat tritium markers is just magic. I'll post pics when it arrives, as soon as I figure how to.

I'd do what I have already done - I'm waiting for its safe return from The Zigmeister.

A genuine Panerai preA1 tritium dial, gen tritium hands, gen crown, gen crownguard, gen stem, Jimmy fu case/bezel, sapphire crystal, CDG decorated ETA/Unitas 6497 movement (same stripe pattern and sunburst wheels as genuine preA), cannon pin fix with ETA parts and a preA caseback from Davidsen.

I got mine fitted with Jimmy Fu's see through caseback so that I can admire the movement for a while but I'll fit the caseback later for accuracy.

I think that this is as close to a perfect PAM as it gets and the preA dial with its recessed fat tritium markers is just magic. I'll post pics when it arrives, as soon as I figure how to.

Great! :thumbsupsmileyanim: I can't wait for the pics! :bounce:

But... wasn't Tritium declared illegal? How did you find it?

Great! :thumbsupsmileyanim: I can't wait for the pics! :bounce:

The watch is to be sent in the next few days so I won't have it until next week. My photo skills aren't great and I'm not sure how to post photos so I will need to do a bit of research first.

But... wasn't Tritium declared illegal? How did you find it?

I didn't find tritium - I found (bought) a genuine NOS tritium dial and hands. In fact I bought 2 'T' dials as I also have a 003 preA / A / early B series 003 dial and tritium hand set. These were not cheap, believe me, but they really are the 'mutts nuts'.

Is this PAM 111?

The watch is to be sent in the next few days so I won't have it until next week. My photo skills aren't great and I'm not sure how to post photos so I will need to do a bit of research first.

I didn't find tritium - I found (bought) a genuine NOS tritium dial and hands. In fact I bought 2 'T' dials as I also have a 003 preA / A / early B series 003 dial and tritium hand set. These were not cheap, believe me, but they really are the 'mutts nuts'.

Just been thinking about the crown guard myself, what sort of price are the genuine ones going for? And do they fit rep cases without mods?

Wow, congrats! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Considering it is 'old' tritium, how its actual glowing is after all these years?