When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Valentino Rossi 1st at Mugello

Dani

Rossi show again his superior ability on 2 wheels :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great race i must admint i thought it was not Rossi race to win when he was down 2,8 sec after 2 laps but he whent on a chace and WON for the 6time in a row at Mugello :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Cheers,

Dani

Rossi is a great racer. But my key complaint with Motogp is that the bike is the most important part. Nicky Hayden is not nearly as skilled as Rossi and yet he won the championship last year. If I remember correctly it was with Rossi's old team. Heck even rossi was bored with winning every race with the best bike when he quit his original team.

Look at the Ducati and tell me its all about the bikes,Rossi shows that whit his less powerd Yamaha he can still win even whit the long strait at Mugello.

Formel 1 its all about the car the magic whit motogp is its up to the rider not so much the bike,we can see that whit all the diffrent first place winners last year and this year.

Rossi is a great racer. But my key complaint with Motogp is that the bike is the most important part. Nicky Hayden is not nearly as skilled as Rossi and yet he won the championship last year. If I remember correctly it was with Rossi's old team. Heck even rossi was bored with winning every race with the best bike when he quit his original team.

i spent 20+ years racing motorcycles in the US. spent lots of time on the same track with roberts, lawson, spencer, kel carruthers, steve baker, yvon duhamel, reg pridmore and others, generally watching them get smaller in the distance :whistling:

i also got to see hailwood, agostini, sheen and others in their prime.

i am an american and usually support american riders, but...

rossi is the best i've ever seen. period. no doubt. he regularly does things that make me go "huh????" and does so lap after lap and race after race.

eventually someone will come along who is better. training is better. riders start on better equipment at a younger age. they have better coaching. they are in better physical shape. the bikes are better. but for right now valentino is that perfect storm of desire and incredible talent that is just a treat to watch :D

seeing nicky win the title last year was cool, but there is no doubt in my mind that rossi is just plain better than he is...

stoner and the ducati did very well on the extremely high speed and open tracks outside europe, where the higher horsepower is a much larger advantage.

now the real season has begun. where the tracks are more technical and the rider is more important.

first result: valentino 1st, stoner 4th :D

even if yamaha does not fully close the power gap during the season (i believe everyone was surprised by the speed of the ducati and is playing 800cc catch up...) it will narrow and rossi's experience and knowledge of the tracks will prevail.

stoner could, and probably will, be a world champion someday, but i don't think his time is quite here yet ;)

Having now seen the races, I will agree that Rossi is the finest motorcycle racer of our generation, maybe even of all time. However, the 250cc race was much more exciting! :D

I started following motorcycle racing in the mid 90s, when my fellow Northern Englishman Carl Fogarty was showing the world how to ride a Ducati properly. Since then, I got caught in every category and remember when Rossi was the 125 guy to watch while Doohan was big-banging it out of squared-off corners on the brutally unfriendly NSR500.

People like to look back on a particular era and say that that was the sport at its pinnacle, but let's be honest, Motorbike GPs have never been better. We're living through the finest of eras.

My only regret is that Carl Fogarty, the best ever rider through a chicane, was injured before he had a chance to ride a Ducati in MotoGP. Sure, he may never have beaten Rossi, but can you imagine him at Assen on a four-stroke GP bike? That's what we missed out on. :whistling:

ps. Me? Oh, nothing. I only have a Ducati 748 ...

Rossi is the best rider of our time (and any other I can think of), but regarding Hayden's title over Rossi: That's Racing.

Hayden does not have the talent of Rossi, and had he not suffered DNFs he would have been champion. Had MiniMe not taken Nicky out, the title would not have been down to the last round. Had Rossi not crashed in the last round, he would have been champion. Had Nicky not chunked a tire in Losail, he would have had more points. Had Rossi not blown a motor at Laguna, he would have been champion.

Variables, variables, variables...

Let's honor Nicky for bringing the title home to the USA, and celebrate our good forture to watch Rossi's amazing talent. Regardless of Hayden's current points total, he still EARNED the honor to ride the most exclusive class in Motorcycling.

Let's honor Nicky for bringing the title home to the USA, and celebrate our good forture to watch Rossi's amazing talent. Regardless of Hayden's current points total, he still EARNED the honor to ride the most exclusive class in Motorcycling.

The last American before Nicky to win was Kenny Jr. He only won because everyone else hit a bad patch, much like Criville the year before winning because Doohan crashed and retired. In 2000 when Kenny won, on a PoS Suzuki, it was because Rossi had just joined and was in his crashing year (125s, crash a lot, win the next year. 250s, crash a lot, win the next year. 500s, crash a lot, win the next year.) but, like Nicky, where is he now?

A seriously talented racer wins several years in succession, on different machinery. The other racers have to hope Rossi has an off year to win.

Hmm... that's an interesting statistic. Every year Rossi has been in the top class, the years he's not won have been won by Americans. :D

In 2000 when Kenny won, on a PoS Suzuki, it was because Rossi had just joined and was in his crashing year (125s, crash a lot, win the next year. 250s, crash a lot, win the next year. 500s, crash a lot, win the next year.) but, like Nicky, where is he now?

Hmm... that's an interesting statistic. Every year Rossi has been in the top class, the years he's not won have been won by Americans. :D

Actually, you may recall that the Suzuki was really good that year. Kenny won in the wet and dry races (usually Suzukis only win in the wet!), and clearly won the series. This year Vermeulin proved the wet race theory! If anyone will win in the dry on the GSV-R, it will be Hopper. I wish SUzuki would get a competitive bike under him, he really could win a few races now that he's healthy!

I think Kenny should have gone to a new team. I honor his dedication to Suzuki, but it ultimately cost him another Championship. Had he been on similar equipment, he could have been a podium regular alongside Rossi.

Yes, in 2000 Rossi was just learning the 500s, totally understandable. I can't imagine riding one. He was smart not to overdo it and throw it away. Many riders make a big splash, like Rainey and Schwantz in '89,'90. They came into the class and were gonzo fast from the first race! Gardner didn't know what hit him! But, they threw it away a few times...

Nicky should be doing better, no doubt. I think the bike is holding him back, just like Dani. New chassis every other race? Something's wrong here.

Rossi's the best. I was so happy for him when he won the title on the Yamaha, silencing the Honda Haters. He's the best talent to come down the pike ever, IMHO. His race with Stoner in round 1 was a classic. Rider vs. Horsepower...

Nicky should be doing better, no doubt. I think the bike is holding him back, just like Dani. New chassis every other race? Something's wrong here.

Rossi's the best. I was so happy for him when he won the title on the Yamaha, silencing the Honda Haters. He's the best talent to come down the pike ever, IMHO. His race with Stoner in round 1 was a classic. Rider vs. Horsepower...

Honda this year screwed up. They were the ones that pushed for 800cc, and it was simply because they had Dani Pedrosa, who in theory should be winning every race as the 800cc Honda was designed around him. Let's be honest, the entire class was designed to put Dani on the podium every week, as the Spanish owners of MotoGP saw him as their next hero. Change the kind of bike to suit his diminutive size and style and watch the title return to Spain. Problem was, nobody counted on Stoner and that bloody rocket ship he's got. Oh, and they forgot Rossi was 250 champ that time.

I've been saying it for years, Stoner will be champion one year, but not until Rossi retires. This year he could prove me wrong!

Actually, you may recall that the Suzuki was really good that year.

I remember it more like the Honda being rubbish that year. :whistling:

Kenny was on the right bike at the right time. You can't take his championship away from him, but really we were just waiting for the Rossi/Biaggi fight to get started.

Honda this year screwed up. They were the ones that pushed for 800cc, and it was simply because they had Dani Pedrosa, who in theory should be winning every race as the 800cc Honda was designed around him. Let's be honest, the entire class was designed to put Dani on the podium every week, as the Spanish owners of MotoGP saw him as their next hero. Change the kind of bike to suit his diminutive size and style and watch the title return to Spain. Problem was, nobody counted on Stoner and that bloody rocket ship he's got. Oh, and they forgot Rossi was 250 champ that time.

I've been saying it for years, Stoner will be champion one year, but not until Rossi retires. This year he could prove me wrong!

Very well said. Honda has been BLINDSIDED by Ducati this year, at least in terms of horsepower. Honda's can shoulder a lot of the 800cc push, but in actuality it was Repsol that was holding the Ace Card. Sponsorship money is a powerful tool. Get the Championship back to Spain. Look at what a national hero Criville is! Statues, commercials, parades...

Stoner MAY be champion one day, but remember that Hopper's being shopped by a couple manufacturers right now. Ducati included! I've been following Hopkins since the fabled Red Bull Yamaha days, and he show so much heart. Gotta love his dedication to his team, but has it cost him better results?

The Honda was not the best bike that year, but it was not that bad. Rossi was learning the class, plain and simple. Look at what Rainey did on the Yamaha against Doohan! He was truly outclassed bikewise, and he held it on! Even Kocinski ([censored] that he is/was) and his amazing talent could not make the Yamaha go well. Cadalora was no slouch, and he had a couple good finishes, but Rainey had the HEART!

Not unlike Rossi. He has the heart, and such amazing talent. He's also so calculated, managing tires masterfully. The only rider I can remember doing this so well was Spencer.

Kenny won the title fair and square. If the Honda were a few ticks back from the Suzuki, so be it. Had Rossi been in his 2nd year in the class, he could have beaten Kenny. But he wasn't. Kenny won. The class' talent pretty deep in 2000, so really his championship was well deserved.

Biaggi? 250 Champ, then an Insufferable Egomaniac. If he weren't such a [censored], he could have been great. Everyone on his team hated working with him (seriously, EVERYONE), and better yet, Vale got in his head. He blamed everyone for everything. Kinda like an Italian Kocinski. But without the Clean Freak Fetish...

Biaggi? 250 Champ, then an Insufferable Egomaniac. If he weren't such a [censored], he could have been great. Everyone on his team hated working with him (seriously, EVERYONE), and better yet, Vale got in his head. He blamed everyone for everything. Kinda like an Italian Kocinski. But without the Clean Freak Fetish...

Kocinski was Superbike champ once and now Biaggi is getting his bahookey handed to him in that class. Sure, he's a very good rider, but Haga, Toseland and Bayliss are scaring the crap out of him week in week out. Biaggi will probably end up fourth in World Supers, and he thought he'd have it easy, riding the bike that won it two years ago.

Oh, and you're right about Kock-inski and Biaggi being twunts. :D

Kocinski was Superbike champ once and now Biaggi is getting his bahookey handed to him in that class. Sure, he's a very good rider, but Haga, Toseland and Bayliss are scaring the crap out of him week in week out. Biaggi will probably end up fourth in World Supers, and he thought he'd have it easy, riding the bike that won it two years ago.

Oh, and you're right about Kock-inski and Biaggi being twunts. :D

A friend of mine worked on the GP Circus back in the 80s and 90s, and he has told me some stories about the goings on. He worked with Gardner, Doohan, Bayle, Thorpe, etc when he was on Team Honda. Everything you have heard about Kocinski is true and MORE. Guy's a nutjob. Incredibly intelligent and a great rider, but a lunatic. All of the riders have idiosyncrasies, but some beyond belief...

Now, don't forget Kocinski's 250 World Championship. He was masterful in that class, but couldn't transfer to the 500s. Some say he was riding Rainey's bike (sound familiar?), but Team Roberts gave 150% to each of their riders. Aksland said Johnny-Boy could not be satisfied. Ever.

I hate to say it, but I get a feeling of satisfaction with Biaggi's troubles. He was such an insufferable a## in past, ramming new riders, kicking Vale in corners, altercations in public...

If there's really Karma, he's the poster child.

Everything you have heard about Kocinski is true and MORE. Guy's a nutjob. Incredibly intelligent and a great rider, but a lunatic.

... and just like Anthony Gobert, he's proof that natural talent will only get you so far. The rest you have to earn.

... and just like Anthony Gobert, he's proof that natural talent will only get you so far. The rest you have to earn.

...and not throw away with drugs and alcohol. He SHOULD/COULD have been a world champion.

Man was he fast. Adaptable too, from Kawasakis to Ducatis to Suzuki MotoGP bikes. Amazing talent, possibly on the same level as Rossi.

Remember his 185 mph tire explosion at Daytona? Except for Mamola in 1985, that was one of the best saves in the history of motorcycle racing...

...and not throw away with drugs and alcohol. He SHOULD/COULD have been a world champion.

Sure, you can party, but them Japanese factories had better not hear of it, eh? They like their sportsmen clean, apart from the allowable booze and nicotine. :D

You can only really race for the title if the factory teams give you a bike. Don't [censored] them off too much.

Man was he fast. Adaptable too, from Kawasakis to Ducatis to Suzuki MotoGP bikes. Amazing talent, possibly on the same level as Rossi.

It was his for the taking. He just had to want it one year. The year he finally understood this it was too late.

Watching Gobert at Laguna Seca on the Ducati in '99 was a revelation. He really ruined it for himself, though.