When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

stem adapter/extender

dadog13

as you already know z3ko sent me a new stem...this weekend i had some free time and tried to install the new stem in the crown...it seems that the thread in the new crown (from palp) isn't ok...the stem doesn't stand straight...it has a deviation (happened before too with the old stem...when i tried to make it straight again i broke the old stem - should i try it again and be more gentle?!)...i think the problem is in the crown thread because the stem fits perfectly the old crown...

what should i do?...

as you already know z3ko sent me a new stem...this weekend i had some free time and tried to install the new stem in the crown...it seems that the thread in the new crown (from palp) isn't ok...the stem doesn't stand straight...it has a deviation (happened before too with the old stem...when i tried to make it straight again i broke the old stem - should i try it again and be more gentle?!)...i think the problem is in the crown thread because the stem fits perfectly the old crown...

what should i do?...

Argh! :black_eye:

I seem to remember that The Zigmeister already pointed out that several (many?) palp's crowns were off-axis. :thumbdown:

That really sucks, I am afraid there is no simple solution. I can see only three possible solutions, and I really don't love any of them:

1) Replacing the stem tube of the palp's crown with that from your old crown. I have once been able to do it on a DSN crown, but I am unsure whether it can be done on a palp's crown. If you can post pics of the stem side of both your crowns perhaps I might be more specific.

2) Sacrificing the thread on your new stem and filing it down to compensate for the off-axis in the palp's crown, then loctite the stem in the crown.

3) Leaving the palp's crown out and looking for another decent crown somewhere. But -- now that Lello's ones are sold out, and Homer is not selling them as spares anymore, your only chances are DSN and those genuine crowns from ebay that kruzer00 recently made a group buy for. They (especially DSN's) might require replacing the case tube, though.

Sorry for you, mate, have all my sympathy... :(

Argh! :black_eye:

I seem to remember that The Zigmeister already pointed out that several (many?) palp's crowns were off-axis. :thumbdown:

That really sucks, I am afraid there is no simple solution. I can see only three possible solutions, and I really don't love any of them:

1) Replacing the stem tube of the palp's crown with that from your old crown. I have once been able to do it on a DSN crown, but I am unsure whether it can be done on a palp's crown. If you can post pics of the stem side of both your crowns perhaps I might be more specific.

2) Sacrificing the thread on your new stem and filing it down to compensate for the off-axis in the palp's crown, then loctite the stem in the crown.

3) Leaving the palp's crown out and looking for another decent crown somewhere. But -- now that Lello's ones are sold out, and Homer is not selling them as spares anymore, your only chances are DSN and those genuine crowns from ebay that kruzer00 recently made a group buy for. They (especially DSN's) might require replacing the case tube, though.

Sorry for you, mate, have all my sympathy... :(

hi sssurfer...tnx again for the help...

what would happen if i decide to "sacrifice" the thread on the crown and loctite the stem in the crown?

the other options seem to be a little too difficult for me to realize them...

as for the kruzer's crowns...they were for the auto pams...not for the manual...

what would happen if i decide to "sacrifice" the thread on the crown and loctite the stem in the crown?

Well, obviously you will end up with a single-piece crown+stem, you will not be able to separate them and use them individually anymore.

So you should take accurate measurement about the needed stem lenght, before you actually glue it into the crown.

A worst chance is that even filing the stem would not be enough to compensate for the misalignment. In this case you will end up with a ruined stem and a useless crown.

On a second thought, if you choose to go this way, better using the hardest glue you can find (most likely a two-components epoxydic one) rather than loctite.

as for the kruzer's crowns...they were for the auto pams...not for the manual...

Naturally you are right, I forgot about it, my apologies.

ok...so i have sanded(hope it's the right way to describe what i've done) a little bit the thread on the stem...cut it to the right size...and voila...the stem perfectly screwed into the crown thread...and the palp crown is now installed...now i have to sand down the crown lever to be able to close it...that i'll do in the next days...to much mods for one day... :lol: