When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scuba Diving to 200fsw on Omega PO 45.5mm

RolexBoy

I'm really interested in this watch, so I send an email to most of the reputable dealers about the water resistance of this watch.

a couple say it can be "upgraded" to 50m for $50.00.

one says for $50.00 he can guaranty 30m and another says it already comes sealed to 50m (can I trust this one?). :cc_confused:

is 50m all this watch can be sealed for? I see that many rep watches (or actually most of them) are not rated to go SCUBA diving with and yet, any $30.00 watch that I can buy today at wally world will easily go down to a 100ft. what gives? these reps still cost $100-$400 and are not very water resistant and then seem to be able to only get upgraded to 50m?

I mean I walk around with a watch that is a known diver watch and I have to take it off when I go on a 50ft reef dive? this alone will tell all my buddies that I have a fake.

OK, back to the Omega PO

should I buy this watch without paying to get it water proofed and do it myself, is this difficult to do?

or should I just pay the extra $50.00 and trust the dealer that it will go to 50m or buy it from the one who says it's already good to 50m?

is there any good dive watch like this one or the "perfect" seadweller that can go further down than 50m?

I mean if the gen SDW is rated to 4000fsw, a rep. for 1/10 of the money should be good to 1/10 of the rating (400fsw) :D

any known record what depth great looking rep. has been taken to?

BTW, thanks for such a great site and I will still have a lot of reading to do, but couldn't find the answers to these questions.

Well, yes, they are counterfeit watches - massively less expensive than the genuine articles, so to think they are manufactured to the same standards is folly.

For scuba diving, many owners of gen watches would in fact wear a Seiko Monster or equivalent, or a backup dive computer. Rolexes are expensive things to scratch or bust while you're lugging around tanks.

The good news is that the PO's can be made very water resistant, but I wouldn't trust a collector to do this for you, because you want to see the test results with your own eyes. There are a few things that need to be done, like gluing down the He valve.

Besides, are you actually planning on diving deeper than 50m? Most recreational scuba divers don't go deeper than 30m.

Well, yes, they are counterfeit watches - massively less expensive than the genuine articles, so to think they are manufactured to the same standards is folly.

where did you get the impression that I would think to get the same standart from a rep as from a gen?

For scuba diving, many owners of gen watches would in fact wear a Seiko Monster or equivalent, or a backup dive computer. Rolexes are expensive things to scratch or bust while you're lugging around tanks.

not me, I wear my gen (GMT1675) fro the past 15 years for anything I do, incl. diving, up until a couple weeks ago when I left the crown open and went on a dive - result-not good

The good news is that the PO's can be made very water resistant, but I wouldn't trust a collector to do this for you, because you want to see the test results with your own eyes. There are a few things that need to be done, like gluing down the He valve.

thanks for the advice, I will make a post looking for a local watch repair technician

Besides, are you actually planning on diving deeper than 50m? Most recreational scuba divers don't go deeper than 30m.

it's not about how deep you go, it's about how good you look doing it. :D

who, has the breitling actually been taken down that far? - just kidding :D