When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chasing a Grail

freddy333

The (gen) 5514 Comex

263563-4949.jpg

4 Questions

1. Which case did the Comex 5514 use? Was it a standard 5513 Sub case (with the He valve added) or was it the (thicker) case that was later used for the 1665 SD or did Rolex use a case that was somewhere in between the 5513 and 1665?
  2. Was the bezel uni- or bi-directional and how many clicks (or was it non-clicking)?
  3. Is there an MBW version of the 5514 Comex (that will accept gen crystals, crowns, tubes, etc.)?
  4. Which gen movement was used in the 5514 -- 1520 or 1570 -- and has anyone tried to fit either of these into a rep case (MBW or other)?

read here..

The 5514 models was a batch of watches that was specially made for COMEX and its divers and never sold by retailers.. It was delivered after the successful testing of the 5513 with HEV and COMEX made a special order of these watches.

The magic number that keeps being quoted is that only 154 of these were delivered to COMEX. While that is an urban myth, since there is evidence that many more 5514 were delivered in at least three batches. Each batch has its own characteristics.

Many of us are under the impression that COMEX got some extra white paint on all their dials, but this is clearly not universal and from the last batch.

The classic 5514 is as this one with Tritium dial with COMEX logo and big numbers in the caseback, this is the end of the evolution for the 5514..

So you can see its a 5513 case with He Valve...

Casback is marked Comex....

Its the same movement than in a 5513.

Hard to build a good one,you can use a MBW 5513 case,but must install a He Valve,also the caseback must be engraved Comex..

For the dial some CN Dials will work...

Than some gen parts (Insert,Tropic,Tube and crown)

A good hollow midlink bracelet...

Edited by Tribal

Its the same movement than in a 5513.

Hard to build a good one,you can use a MBW 5513 case,but must install a He Valve,also the caseback must be engraved Comex..

For the dial some CN Dials will work...

Than some gen parts (Insert,Tropic,Tube and crown)

A good hollow midlink bracelet...

Thanks Tribal.

The He valve is not an issue (see my previous 'working' He valve tutorials) and I have a nice caseback & a custom stamp to give it a unique 'Comex' ID. But I want to be sure I have the correct case so I can fit a gen bezel insert, pearl, crystal, crown, etc.

I already did one 5514, which looks pretty good. But I used a cheap-o Sub as the base (the case is slightly thicker than a standard 5513, but not quite as thick as my MBW 1665) and it has one of those cases where you cannot remove the bezel (or insert) without bending or damaging it. Also, the case will not accept gen parts (crystal, insert, etc.)

263626-4942.jpg

So I want to take another stab this, but starting with an MBW base so I can use gen parts. From your comments, it sounds like the MBW 5513 is the way to go then. Correct?

Thanks Tribal.

The He valve is not an issue (see my previous 'working' He valve tutorials) and I have a nice caseback & a custom stamp to give it a unique 'Comex' ID, but I want to be sure I have the correct case so I can fit a gen bezel insert, pearl, crystal, crown, etc.

I already did one 5514, which looks pretty good. But I used a cheap-o Sub as the base (the case is slightly thicker than a standard 5513, but not quite as thick as my MBW 1665) and it has one of those cases where you cannot remove the bezel (or insert) without bending or damaging it. Also, the case will not accept gen parts (crystal, insert, etc.)

263631-4938.jpg

So I want to take another stab this, but starting with an MBW base so I can use gen parts. From your comments, it sounds like the MBW 5513 is the way to go then. Correct?

Yepp, take a1680 MBW Case its stamped 5513 on the lugs,or better catch a MBW 5513

Look here

263631-4939.jpg

263631-4940.jpg

By the way your work on the HE Valve is great... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The watch looks good...

Looks like quite a nice piece of work yourself, Tribal.

I did not see a 5513 listed in either TTK's or WM's collections. But TTK does have a 1680. Are the MBW 5513 & 1680 cases the same? If I understand you correctly, they are (I just want to be sure so I do not have to make a 3rd 5514).

Freddy, I spoke to George about this when the 5513 was in the planning stages. The MBW 5513 does indeed use the same case and the 1680. THe 5513 case markings comes in handy for other projects. :)

Some other intereresting reading on the 5514:

http://www.rolexsamler.dk/sea-dweller_1665_gb.htm

http://www.watchkiller.com/comex.htm

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg...0&rid=25611

http://forums.timezone.com/?t=rview&th...412#msg_2050412

The last post on the above thread is spot on, IMO. To make it easier, here it is:

"Back in those days they (Rolex) did not even think that some day in the future there will be people like us "collecting" these things and paying these exorbitant prices for them! They couldn't care less. Still to this day, they don't give a crap about collectors and they are not talking about these "subtle" differences between certain models.

It would be nice if one of the family members in the company would sit down and write a book on history of the company accompanied by photographs and actual data. But that will never happen, although it would be a bestseller, no doubt.

Maybe its us that put all that "mistique" to this brand and the "founding fathers" never envisioned any."

Thanks, this is what I needed.

The info in the last 2 TZ threads is what I was looking for & pretty much supports what I had thought all along, that the 5514s were off-the-shelf 5513s with the He valve and Comex label added. But now I feel alot more confident that the 5513 is the correct platform. I guess it's time to contact TTK.

Looks like quite a nice piece of work yourself, Tribal.

I did not see a 5513 listed in either TTK's or WM's collections. But TTK does have a 1680. Are the MBW 5513 & 1680 cases the same? If I understand you correctly, they are (I just want to be sure so I do not have to make a 3rd 5514).

Thats not my work,this is a MBW 5513,this one is without Mods.. :whistling:

I don't know if Neil has this one...