When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Luming a PAM sandwich dial - what tool?

Tom

So i've got my C3 though from the factory and have prepped the dials. I'm only attempting this because you don't have to be exact...at all (thank god)

I've got a tiny little vial of C3 - will this be enough for two sandwich dials?

My main question is what is the best thing to paint the dial with. An oiler is for more delicate work and I think a fine brush would clog with Lume. I need to do it quite quickly as it seems this stuff dries out very very fast.

Anyone done this recently?

Please help.

I shared your same concerns about oiler vs brush, and I ended up by using the glass tool that comes with the SL kit.

I think I used too much varnish with respect to the powder. I had to apply two coats in order to make the coat homogeneous, and in the end the applied coat looked quite thick (quite high, I mean, not quite dense).

It took ages to dry out.

After a few days I became impatient and rejoined the upper dial layer with the inferior layer (where I had applied the lume) without waiting for a complete drying out (which I still wonder wheter a week would have been enough).

Result: the lume was all but dried out, it penetrated into the clefts of the sandwich dial bulging towards the outside (upper side) and giving the whole thing quite a silly look.

I had to separate the two layers again, cleaning them both (a pain in the ass), and starting all again from scratch.

About half SL kit wasted, too. :wounded1:

Split the dial, ie remove the face from the back...then using a yellow metal oiler, apply the lume to the back part, let it dry for about 30 minutes, and then glue the face back onto the back.

Do you use the varnish that comes with the SL kit, or others, The Zigmeister?

I am stunned from 30 minutes drying time vs many days...

I use the varnish and the thinner as it dries out, adding just enough thinner to keep it liquid, nothing but what comes in the kit.

I buy the stuff in bulk now, but it's the same product, bulk is 10cc of varnish and thinner.

Thanks for your reply!

I still wonder what I made wrong. :black_eye:

I did not even use the thinner...