When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I think I have a problem with the keyless works

Rolexman

For cleaning some dust from the dial I removed the crown/stem (ETA 2824). After I'd put it back (I think I used too much force sticking it back in) the crown/ stem has a slipping feeling (hope this makes sence). This feeling occurs when seting date AND time.

A jeweler told me once(same problem different watch but not my fault =) ) that this was due to a lose turret spring(?).

Problem is that I don't now if this slipping feeling already excisted before the crown/stem removal because the watch was new. Could this problem been caussed by putting too much pressure on the crown/stem and most important can this easily be fixed?

I could not find any pictures of the turret spring in your tutorials...

Edited by Rolexman

When installing the stem back in the movement, you should always press on the release pin to make it easier to install the stem...from your information I am assuming that you just pressed the stem in place without releasing the pin?

What type of movement is this? I have two information posts on ETA and Unitas movement removal, these should help.

If you can set the time and wind the watch, then it should be working correctly. I would remove the stem with the watch in the winding position, and reinstall it while pressing on the release pin, and then see how it feels and works.

RG

from your information I am assuming that you just pressed the stem in place without releasing the pin?

Indeed

What type of movement is this?
ETA 2824

I would remove the stem with the watch in the winding position, and reinstall it while pressing on the release pin, and then see how it feels and works.

Yep, did that but no change. Now I really have a problem when reinstalling the stem the movement keeps running and all functions don't work.....

Edited by Rolexman

Now I really have a problem... I think due to the removal in the winding position something in the keyless works has moved. Now I can click the stem/crown back in but nothing works... winding, date set, time, hack. When I screw the crown on the tube the date turns......

I think it was a bad Idea removing it in the winding position.

Edited by Rolexman

There is only one model that I remove the stem in the time setting position, that is on the Moljina.

On all other models, I only take the stem out in the winding position.

It's FUBAR now, you have to take the dial and hands off, and disassemble and fix the keyless works, always press on the stem release before installing the stem, the end that goes into and locks on the set lever is flat and trying to press and insert it - without pressing the release will damage the watch.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.

RG

Watch repair man made it.... Euro 10,- (me happpy =)). The watch works perfect now but there's still some dust on the dial I really want to remove. Maybe I'm a stupid bastard but what if I want to try it again? ........

I was thinking of pulling the crown out in the time setting position, pressing the release button with a small screw driver (like I did before) and gently pushing the stem back afterwards but this time pressing the release button at the same time.

This has to work out okay, right?

Edited by Rolexman

I only put one model in the time setting position for removing the stem - that is on the Moljina russian movement, all other watches I remove the stem in the winding position, and have never ever had any problems...

And yes, I always push on the release when installing the stem...

RG

The thought just occurred to me that it may be the center part of the crown not engaging properly when it is unscrewed. If it does not extend fully, it can slip. I have a brand new Rolex crown doing that at the moment. It seems fine when removed from the watch, but it simply won't lock up to allow winding. It just slips and clicks. If you can, remove the crown from the stem and try it on another watch. It shouldn't matter what kind, as it should thread onto any stem, and you aren't going to screw it down, just try to wind with it.