When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

America's Cup

jkerouac

Does anybody really watch yacht races? I suppose it is one thing to be there in person, but I've tried to watch them on television and even using interactive Web apps, but in my opinion watching is not much higher on the excitement scale than watching golf. The difference is that with golf you have lovely super-natural parklike environments, and in yacht racing you have the beauty of the open water.

In any case, being American and as there are no remaining American entrants (and I can't ever imagine cheering for Larry Ellison's boat), I find myself solidly in favor of the Alinghi team. First, they are Swiss, second they have the coolest watch affiliation (does the New Zealand/Emirates team even have a watch affiliation), and third, the Alinghi offices in Switzerland are within a few miles of my cousin's home in Switzerland.

Go Alinghi!

I am an avid sailor, and enjoy the Cup races quite a lot.

I have found that the best way to watch almost any sporting event these days is to TIVO it, and then watch the show on the up speed setting. It turns a slow event like sailing into a much more up tempo affair. You can watch a 2 hour race in about 10 minutes. Much more exciting.

By the way, that AP cup watch is a beautiful thing.

I am an avid sailor, and enjoy the Cup races quite a lot.

I have found that the best way to watch almost any sporting event these days is to TIVO it, and then watch the show on the up speed setting. It turns a slow event like sailing into a much more up tempo affair. You can watch a 2 hour race in about 10 minutes. Much more exciting.

By the way, that AP cup watch is a beautiful thing.

That's how I watch Golf. Tivo makes golf a lot more fun to watch. I love to sail myself, but I'm on a little 16 foot Hobie Cat. It's very relaxing and peaceful, that is, until a thunderstorm appears out of nowhere.