When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Explorer I, Who carries he best? Options

Thor

When I first joined RWG, me first purchase was a Rolex explorer I from Paul.

Nice, but it has some obvious givaways...

103-8519.jpg

Then dial font aren't that great, the SEL are a little odd, and the clasp is wrong (not a short clasp like the original). :comp1:

Since it's my daily beater, I decided I needed an upgrade. :happy:

But eveery dealer here carry this item, and there seems to be many different version (not counting the vintage one). :frusty:

So who's carrying the best 'modern' explorer I replica ????

A new version of this watch was released a few months ago that has corrected most of the flaws you mentioned, I would imagine most dealer would be shipping the new version by now even if they are still using outdated photos in their albums.

:hug: Great and lovable accurate info from saabin :hug:

Regards

Gunnar :tongue:

The latest version that Saabin mentions appears to be essentially perfect.

Nice choice by the way. The EXP I is understated elegance at its finest.

I ordered mine from Andrew a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting for it to be shipped (he's been out of town). I'll let you know how it looks when I get it. I'll post pics. It'll be nice if it's anything like the gallery pics.

I'm kind of in the same situation with my rep sub. I bought it about a year and a half ago from http://www.perfectswiss.com. Yes, I overpaid big time for it, but that was before finding this site. Anyway, it is a very nice rep though with many of the same issues as the current rep subs (crown guards, etc.). Mine seems to have markers and seconds marker that are too small compared to genuine/current reps. Also, there's almost no illumination. I like the bracelet though, with SEL and middle links. It has been incredibly reliable and reasonably accurate (advances about 5 minutes fast a month). I've even gone swimming with it in pools, ocean, etc. - no problems. I also noticed that the newer reps appear (according to the pictures) to have better seals - the rubber gasket is clearly shown on the stem in the new reps - mine is not so obvious and appears to be smaller in cross section. Also, the screw-down function of the crown works fine, but the threads are not as well defined as a genuine or the current reps - it's a bit too easy to cross thread. I had a genuine SD and GMTII, so my observations are based on recollection. So now, I can't decide whether to do mods or just buy the latest rep. I swaying toward the latter - perhaps a SD or GMTII.

I'll post pics as soon as it arrives.

Please post some pics and a review when it comes in! It's next on my list...

I just picked one of these up from Andrew Trusty watch Guy 07 ... a month ago...

My wife loves it...

and for $88 it's perfect..

ETA are available in this one, no? Corrected ones are nice looking watches...

The one I ordered from Andrew is ETA. I paid $180. Can't wait to get it.

Thanks guys for all this usefull info :thumbsupsmileyanim:

What a great community :worshippy:

There's an even newer one from Andrew for $208 which has the added end-lug reference engravings to make the watch *perfect*. I'm waiting to receive it.

The actual spotable flaws in Exp I are:

- Dial numerals are bigger in rep (just a bit)

- EL's, King's and Andy's have an incorrect spacing in the last char's of "Chronometer"

- The bracelet comes with solid midlinks instead of hollow ones

And there's no way to find a correct bracelet (at least I couldn't). I bought the latest version from EL and I still have't found a bracelet to replace the actual.

Am I the only one that has trouble believing his Asian mov't rep has been COSC certified? lol

Hah! First Asian movement submitted, I would think :)

how is the 208 new explorer from andrew?

I received the Explorer I from Andrew yesterday. I ordered and paid for the swiss ETA version and received the Asian version with hollow stamped end links and solid middle links. On the bright side, the clasp is the proper short version. And, the watch is attractive. Still, it is a disappointment. I've emailed Andrew about it and am waiting to hear back from him.

Just received today mail from River advertising his last Explorer Model (see it at Gallery II). Nice dial, hollow mid links, SEL's...

Vmena, how's the fit between the SEL's and the case? The fit in the gallery pics look horrible. I actually prefer the fit and finish of the hollow end links over the solid ones shown in the pictures. I'll post pictures of what I received later today.

I had an Explorer I from EL's (that I sent back to him because of the solid midlinks) and it had SEL's. They did fit perfect! But be carefoul because in other sellers, the SEL's do not fit perfectly the case. No problem with the EL's. I'm waiting now a new Exp I with hollow midlinks. Even the solid links give a heavier sensation to the band, hollows are the one coming in genuine. I try to be as accurate as possible. Maybe my problem.

Regardind hollow end links, I have a genuine DJ with this type of end links and they are also very good. I really do not see any improvment in the new SEL system.

Well, here are the pics. Mixed feelings on this one. The case and dial are nice. Andrew asserts that it is ETA, but I have no tool to open the case and confirm. The bracelet has hollow end links and solid middle links - I really thought I was getting the SWISS version shown in his gallery with the SEL and hollow middle links. The clasp feels cheap. I've asked Andrew to locate a SEL bracelet as shown in his gallery pics - I'll let you guys know how this all turns out. Andrew's responses have always been prompt, so I remain optimistic that the story will have a happy ending. Sorry for the less than studio quality pics.

I've emailed Andrew several times, but with no response. In my last email, I've suggested an exchange + $$ for his latest EXPLORER II offering, shown in the Photo Gallery. I truly hope that Andrew responds and makes this right. He seems to have a solid reputation, with a few spotty delivery time issues. Here are more pics of my nice, but not quite right, Explorer I from Andrew.

Sorry for not updating sooner. Andrew agreed to sell me an "ETA" Explorer II black dial for $150 shipped - he took $100 off his normal selling price to account for the price difference between the ETA and Asian versions of the Explorer I. To me that was acceptable, since I want to acquire an Explorer "set" beginning from vintage to modern. Eventually, I still want to acquire an ETA Explorer I, but for now I'm fine with this "asian" version - as it's a perfect match to my wife's genuine oyster ladies with black 12/3/6/9 explorer dial.

I'm expecting the Explorer II to arrive early in January, since I didn't actually order until this past weekend. I'll provide another update with pics when the watch arrives.

Attached is a pic of my Explorer I.