When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help in English - Only today and tomorrow a paragraphe

Uhrenfreund25

Would be nice if native speakers could correct my sentences...and help me to express things I want to say the right way.

"After the Business English Class has started about four months ago, I wanted to find a way to improve my English besides getting the course done as a precondition to fulfill the claims for my business-law-study. So it was very helpful to me that we (as the whole group) got the advice to speak as much as possible in English – even we do a few mistakes, which we can weed out together. The only way to improve my English seemed to be “learning by speaking”, and to become more self-confident in using the foreign language dealing with every-day-situations.

To reach this goal (improving my English) we had to write down our individual “semester goals” where we had to list our plans to better our instinctive feel for the English language.

So I’ve chosen to watch news on CNN, speak for about an hour a week to my mate Elizabeth in English, read short stories in English, try to summarize them, etc.

I got to learn, that my goals were all in all very ambitious – maybe too ambitious for my personal situation and the time I had planned to spend for the course.

As we had “half-time” of the course and we had to evaluate our individual learning progress, I had to be honest to myself and had to admit freely, that my semester-goals got temporary out of reachability.

Therefore I tried to do my best and find a solution to get back into line of them as Jimmy (the teacher) offered lots of possibilities to find the way back to my plan. The weekly Assignments and the different topics we had to deal with were ideal to motivate oneself and come back into line of the goals: I regularly watched news on CNN, posted on online-boards and communicated with English native speakers.

I started to see the weekly English Class as a given chance to rub up my English – even it was additional charge.

The greatest strides I made are with speaking in front of a class and doing small talk with strangers/people I haven’t met before.

The communication training of every-day-situations was very helpful to become more self-confident in using the English language when communicating with other (foreign) people.

In general I would say that I have reached my personal semester goals as my “meta-goal” was to get in contact with the English language and strengthen my existing knowledge in English. Now, it’s up to me to stay on the ball. I feel trained and secure talking to other people in English – in particular talking about business topics.

Being asked for suggesting a grade for myself, I would evaluate my achievements as “B”. I did all homework punctually – even there was a single homework rather short, I did my very best and took great pains.

The course itself was well structured and the teacher tried hard to motivate the group to speak together and to get over inhibitions to talk freely and openly with our existing knowledge to other people in English. The manual was interesting to read and work with – it contains lots of conceivable situations for business-talk and offers assistances for discussing business related topics in English."

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!

Edited by Uhrenfreund25

After the English Business Class that started about four months ago, I wanted to find a way to improve my English besides getting the course done as a precondition to fulfil the claims for my business-law-study. So it was very helpful to me that we (as the whole group) got the advice to speak as often as possible in English