When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 196 7750 Common Problem? won't start up

lanikai

I remember reading a thread on the 196 ...7750 mvmt.

I just recieved the watch ... out of the box .... it had movement I pulled out the crown to adjust the time and when i pushed it back the watch would not function ... pulled out the crown again and it seems that it broke off the stem.... I am sending it back to the dealer .. but out of curioustiy is this a common problem with this watch or movement? sssurfer had a solution but it is a bit too late for me to ask now since the crown is no longer part of the stem.... :black_eye:

Feedback please..

I remember reading a thread on the 196 ...7750 mvmt.

I just recieved the watch ... out of the box .... it had movement I pulled out the crown to adjust the time and when i pushed it back the watch would not function ... pulled out the crown again and it seems that it broke off the stem.... I am sending it back to the dealer .. but out of curioustiy is this a common problem with this watch or movement? sssurfer had a solution but it is a bit too late for me to ask now since the crown is no longer part of the stem.... :black_eye:

Feedback please..

My Pam daylight 7750 had an issue whereby I set the time, push the crown in, seconds hand moves, but the minute hands takes a while to get going. I observed it for a while and now whenever I set the time, I will hold the watch and swirl left and right, to get the rotor spinning, even though I have wound the crown up enough to run the watch for a day.

Strange it may seem, but it works for me.

My Pam daylight 7750 had an issue whereby I set the time, push the crown in, seconds hand moves, but the minute hands takes a while to get going. I observed it for a while and now whenever I set the time, I will hold the watch and swirl left and right, to get the rotor spinning, even though I have wound the crown up enough to run the watch for a day.

Strange it may seem, but it works for me.

thanks viper ... but like i said ... it is a mute point now since the crown seems to have broke off the stem.... the 7750 movements have given me the most headaches.. really tempermental animals...so it's back to the dealer .. it's ok though my dealer up and up and will make it right..

but thanks for the input at least i know i don't stand alone and it's not bad watch kharma

thanks viper ... but like i said ... it is a mute point now since the crown seems to have broke off the stem.... the 7750 movements have given me the most headaches.. really tempermental animals...so it's back to the dealer .. it's ok though my dealer up and up and will make it right..

but thanks for the input at least i know i don't stand alone and it's not bad watch kharma

Hope it all works out for you, Lanikai. Its not bad watch karma, its part of the game we participate in.

Cheers!

Hope it all works out for you, Lanikai. Its not bad watch karma, its part of the game we participate in.

Cheers!

Hey it will viper ... it's just that you get to learn patience in the watch game rep or gen. ... chna's mail service isn't the Pony Express... thanks again

sssurfer had a solution but it is a bit too late for me to ask now since the crown is no longer part of the stem.... :black_eye:

Hey there, even a stainless steel surfer has to work / sleep at times! :lol:

However, good to get a whole watch replacement, especially until you will not enjoy from disassembling a watch. :)

The 7750 is actually a great design, but the assembly and lubrication at he rep factories seems to be lacking. Once it's serviced, it'll be fine for a long while. Send it to The Zigmeister and let him make it right. The stem breaking was either caused by overstressing when it was put together, crappy metallurgy, or carelessness on your part. (Not accusing you, just saying.) It doesn't have anything to do with the movement design.

I actually thought it was the opposite but I am no watch smith. I have never had a 7750 reconfigured to do what a 7753 does that did not break, A combination of poor assembly with the extra gears which are lacking the appropriate jewels, etc. just made it worse. I have had excellent luck with the newer 7750 movements when in the standard chrono layout or when put in a watch without the chrono function. I made the decision early on to save my pennies up for the 7753 on the Daylights. The funny thing is that now ETA themselves have eliminated the 7753 from their movement line and have designed a module to stick on top of the 7750 which is similar to what is in the gen HBB.

I actually thought it was the opposite but I am no watch smith. I have never had a 7750 reconfigured to do what a 7753 does that did not break, A combination of poor assembly with the extra gears which are lacking the appropriate jewels, etc. just made it worse. I have had excellent luck with the newer 7750 movements when in the standard chrono layout or when put in a watch without the chrono function. I made the decision early on to save my pennies up for the 7753 on the Daylights. The funny thing is that now ETA themselves have eliminated the 7753 from their movement line and have designed a module to stick on top of the 7750 which is similar to what is in the gen HBB.

Ah, you see, I'm a watch repair guy, but I'm not up on the rep movement modifications.

If you tack a crappy module onto a good base design, and it fails, that doesn't mean that the base is bad, it means the add-on sucks. But that's beside the point. I had no idea the 7750 he was talking about was "modified" and just assumed it was the standard layout. I haven't bought any with non-standard arrangements, or worked on any, so I have to concede.

• 11 months later...

Hi

Sense you talk about the 7750 A in the 196, i have the same in my PAM, there is no problem starting after inserting the crown, the only problem is how to adjust the clockwork so it dont goes to slow, its like 3 min evert 24 hours. Is there any picture how i can do it by my selfe ore is it to difficult...

Cheers

Nicke