When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16610 with ETA 2836-2 question

Gigatron

Hey gang,

I'm brand new to the rep scene and my first watch is a 16610 submariner fro andrew at trustytime. I noticed that some days it will run a few seconds fast and if I reset the time, some days it will run slow. I've wound it manually, since I don't know the last time it had seen action since before it lef t the warehouse. I also wear it around to keep the automatic winding going.

So, is there something else I'm missing? Is there something wrong with the movement? Is there something I can do to keep more accurate time? My friend has a gen Sea Dweller that will occassionally run fast or slow, so I know these things aren't 1000% accurate. But I'm sometimes seeing a gain or loss of up to 10 seconds within a day of resetting it.

Sogang, what can I do, or, is there anything that can be done?

Thanks,

Fred

Hi gigatron, if you look areound you will find some posts by ziggy, the resident expert, they are realy worth reading.

Firstly you should not need to wind a 2836 or any auto for that matter, the wrist movement alown should wind it just fine, winding may damage the ratchet that allows the rotor to wind the watch. Secondly an error of 10 sec a day is not to bad realy, Do you ware the watch all the time or just here and there, the running of the watch depends on what you do when wearing it, active or not. Also the possition that it sitas in when not being worn, it may gain if laid dial up and loose if laid dial down or vice versa also crown up/down ect.

I keep my autos on a winder when i am not wearing them so that they are always at just about the right time and fully wound. try wearing you watch for a full week, set the time first by an atomic clock from the internet and then see if you gain or loose over a week of normal wearing, then you might want to adjust it accoring to that.

Atomic time

I would just give it gentle rocking movement with my wrist to get it going and then wear it.

The factory specs on this model are about + - 20 seconds per day.

That accuracy is only applicable to a clean, correctly oiled, and adjusted movement. Running a few seconds fast or slow, on any given day, is normal...the state of wind of the watch, what is done while it's being worn, if it's not being worn and sitting, etc, all these factors determin how fast or slow the watch will run.

Anything within 20 seconds per day, is acceptable, especially on a movement of which the condition is unknown, it may be a surplus movement in need of cleaning and oiling, or it may be out of adjustment etc...

RG

Looks like fxrandy beat me to it...damn...foiled again...

Hey gang,

I'm brand new to the rep scene and my first watch is a 16610 submariner fro andrew at trustytime. I noticed that some days it will run a few seconds fast and if I reset the time, some days it will run slow. I've wound it manually, since I don't know the last time it had seen action since before it lef t the warehouse. I also wear it around to keep the automatic winding going.

So, is there something else I'm missing? Is there something wrong with the movement? Is there something I can do to keep more accurate time? My friend has a gen Sea Dweller that will occassionally run fast or slow, so I know these things aren't 1000% accurate. But I'm sometimes seeing a gain or loss of up to 10 seconds within a day of resetting it.

Thanks,

Fred

Any automatic watch will run fast or slow depending on the position. Gravity does affect the components and so the watch will tend to run fast or slow depending on the position. You can verify this by placing your watch face-up overnight versus face-down. Many watches are adjusted to five, or 6, postitions to help even out this drift. A few high-end brands, Patek to name one, adjust to 8 positions. A worn watch is subject to continuous changing of position over the course of a day and so will tend to run a bit fast and slow depending on the level of activity, how much the watch is wound and even temperature. These factors can be taken into account when adjusting a watch.

It is possible to have the movement regulated so that the overall rate is brought into correct timing. Adjusting the movement is a more complicated process which can also be done, but you may get accceptable results from regulating it.

Hope this helps.

Yeah.....wear the watch and enjoy it....if you want accurate time.....look at your cellphone......if your watch is gaining or losing a few seconds a day......you still won't convince me that you have an appointment which is that important.....stop obsessing or buy a quartz....!

You have been a member for over a year, and this is your first post?

Great answer, I hope you decide to contribute more, and not wait another year before posting again...

RG

The Zigmeister,

I actually have a lot more posts, but I've been dormant for a while due to job priorities and rediscovered the forum when they emailed me that my membership was being cancelled due to inactivity, so I thought I'd jump back in.

Ziggy,

I actually have a lot more posts, but I've been dormant for a while due to job priorities and rediscovered the forum when they emailed me that my membership was being cancelled due to inactivity, so I thought I'd jump back in.

I thought the name was familiar, welcome back, hope to see more.

RG