When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Slipped chrono second hand

Rolexman

Hi,

A friend of mine has a Navitimer (rep) with a chrono second hand that slipped (yes, the most common problem with chronographs)...

Can I just uncase the movement and push the hand back in position (in reset mode) or do I completely remove the hand and put it back on in the right position....

I already gently pushed the chrono second hand but I felt some resistance.... I don't want to break anything ;)

Thanks guys!

Edited by Rolexman

For a permanent fix, the hand/tube joint should be epoxied. Installing it in the correct positon without fixing the problem just means it will slip again some day...

This is the joint I am referring to:

275843-2539.jpg

275843-2540.jpg

275843-2541.jpg

As long as you press with a hand installation tool, and aren't putting any side pressure on the post, you can push quite hard.

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister, I ordered a hand removal tool to do it right but for now I tried to push it back in position. The hand does move but after I release the hand it jumps back in the wrong position ( 5 past 12).... like it is spring loaded. Also won't this affect the internal gears etc....

Edited by Rolexman

You will have to remove the hand to re-position it I am affraid, no other way to do it.

Correct.

The hand does move but after I release the hand it jumps back in the wrong position ( 5 past 12).... like it is spring loaded.

It is spring loaded, the hammer centering spring is forcing it to the 12 position, there are no internal gears connected to the hand with the watch in the Stopped setting, the center seconds gear just sits there free, the only thing holding it in place, is the hammer...no worries about damage.

RG