When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What type of strap to replace my bracelet on my SMP?

gaeko

Hi all,

Well after a year of heavy use, the latch on my SMP is broken. I'm really hoping to replace it with a rubber strap, is it possible to use the rubber strap found on the Planet Ocean model? Does anyone make a rep of it, or even an aftermarket one that looks similar to it? I'm also considering a NATO strap, which appears to be VERY cheap.

I have a blue SMP, can someone please post links/pics to straps that would look good on it? Again i'm hoping to find a replica rubber strap, (or even leather strap if it's relatively cheap) or an aftermarket that's pretty cheap. Used is totally fine too if anyone is interested in selling theirs. Again, if specific vendors, or websites can be supplied I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thank you for your time

Hi all,

Well after a year of heavy use, the latch on my SMP is broken. I'm really hoping to replace it with a rubber strap, is it possible to use the rubber strap found on the Planet Ocean model? Does anyone make a rep of it, or even an aftermarket one that looks similar to it? I'm also considering a NATO strap, which appears to be VERY cheap.

I have a blue SMP, can someone please post links/pics to straps that would look good on it? Again i'm hoping to find a replica rubber strap, (or even leather strap if it's relatively cheap) or an aftermarket that's pretty cheap. Used is totally fine too if anyone is interested in selling theirs. Again, if specific vendors, or websites can be supplied I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thank you for your time

The rubber strap most commonly associated with the Planet Ocean, is actually designed for the regular Seamaster. The difference, is in the small details. The Planet Ocean strap has 'off rounded' notch holes, and a 7mm tongue on the buckle. The Seamaster strap (which most replica Planet Oceans are force-fitted with in the factories) has rectangular notch holes, and have a 10mm tongue on the buckle. With regards to it fitting your rep, remove the bracelet and examine the space between the lugs. Does it have a small hole drilled into it? If it does, then chances you'd be able to get one of the rep rubber straps to fit. (The rep strap has a 'notch' at the lug end, which goes into the guide hole and prevents the strap from flexing away from the case when worn. If your watch doesn't have the drilled hole, you could always remove the guide notch, and use 1.8mm spring bars (pushes the end of the strap against the case better) to prevent it gaping from the case while worn. I believe Joshua sells the rep rubber strap. Silix sells a 22mm Planet Ocean strap, but I'm not sure if he also sells the 20mm Seamaster strap you'd be after...

With regards the NATO straps, yes, they are cheap, and don't look too bad, but, I've found they're not very durable, and start fraying after a while. Hope that's of help :)

Thank you! That information IS very helpful.

Yes, I noticed Silix sells the rep PO rubber strap, but it's 22 mm. DARN! I'll check out Joshua.

So if I have a blue SMP, any suggestions on what color rubber strap and NATO strap to get? I'm hoping I can get away with a black rubber strap, and might just get a blue NATO strap.

Thank you! That information IS very helpful.

Yes, I noticed Silix sells the rep PO rubber strap, but it's 22 mm. DARN! I'll check out Joshua.

So if I have a blue SMP, any suggestions on what color rubber strap and NATO strap to get? I'm hoping I can get away with a black rubber strap, and might just get a blue NATO strap.

No problem at all. The black rubber strap goes okay on the blue SMP. I admit, it doesn't look as nice as the rubber strap looks on the Planet Ocean, but it's certainly wearable. (The strap is seriously comfortable, by the way...)

Hmm...I don't think Joshua has the Omega rep rubber strap in 20mm unless I need to specially request it.

Anyone else know where I can get it? Thanks!

Joshua does have the Rubber Seamaster strap. It might be listed as being for the Planet Ocean 42mm, but I can assure you that that is a Seamaster Strap, not a Planet Ocean strap. The 42mm Planet Ocean has 20mm lugs, so it should fit without problems (other than the intricacies I described above)

Also, if you were only going with straps as a last resort, Andrew sells a replacement SMP Bracelet...

For considerably more than the rubber strap, Joshua also sells various Omega leather straps. Sean Bean wore his blue SMP on leather in GoldenEye, and it looked pretty good :smile:

No problem at all. The black rubber strap goes okay on the blue SMP. I admit, it doesn't look as nice as the rubber strap looks on the Planet Ocean, but it's certainly wearable. (The strap is seriously comfortable, by the way...)

Joshua does have the Rubber Seamaster strap. It might be listed as being for the Planet Ocean 42mm, but I can assure you that that is a Seamaster Strap, not a Planet Ocean strap. The 42mm Planet Ocean has 20mm lugs, so it should fit without problems (other than the intricacies I described above)

Also, if you were only going with straps as a last resort, Andrew sells a replacement SMP Bracelet...

For considerably more than the rubber strap, Joshua also sells various Omega leather straps. Sean Bean wore his blue SMP on leather in GoldenEye, and it looked pretty good :smile:

Oh wow, thank you so much!

I'll be honest, I wasn't a big fan of the stainless steel strap as far as comfort goes. I LOVE the watch but didn't wear as often because of lack of comfort, maybe it was the weight...just not used to it. I'm a pretty active guy, so I want something more durable. I'm really hoping that with the rubber strap I'll find myself wearing the watch more often.

Oh wow, thank you so much!

I'll be honest, I wasn't a big fan of the stainless steel strap as far as comfort goes. I LOVE the watch but didn't wear as often because of lack of comfort, maybe it was the weight...just not used to it. I'm a pretty active guy, so I want something more durable. I'm really hoping that with the rubber strap I'll find myself wearing the watch more often.

No problem whatsoever. I know precicely what you mean. When I first got my 42mm Planet Ocean, I wore it on the SS Bracelet, and, when it had to have the crown repaired, I got a pretty crappy SMP as a substitute. The bracelet it came on was junk, and another member was selling an unused strap, so I figured I'd put it on the SMP, then put it on the Planet Ocean when it returned. I only wore the SMP on rubber for about a week before the Planet Ocean returned, but I found that I couldn't stand wearing it on the SS bracelet anymore, and put it on the rubber strap immediately. (I hadn't minded the SS bracelet before that) When I ordered my 45mm Planet Ocean, I was sent a rubber strap as well, which I instantly swapped (I have never worn my 45 PO on it's stock SS bracelet) The weight of the watch (be it SMP or PO), while noticeable against the edges of the hand on SS, is negligable on rubber. The one downside I would point out, is on the rubber strap, the watch (again, SMP or PO) does not easily go under a shirt cuff... Best of luck :)

do you need special tools to replace the strap? Is it something I can do, or do I need "watch" tools to do?

Nothing more complicated than a 1.5mm screwdriver. You could probably pick up a reasonably good set at a dollar store which would be up to the job. There are proper Springbar removal tools available, but a small screwdriver will do the job just as well. It's literally just a case of flicking back the spring bar, applying a little gentle pressure between the lugs with your thumb to keep that end of the bar springing back into place, and then flicking back the other end of the bar. When fitting the rubber strap, simply reverse the process :smile: