When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I lightly kniked my TAG Link Chrono....

truthrocket

Probably better off letting TAG take care of it during your next scheduled service (or see if you can swing it by your AD for just a polish). If there are any polished-to-brushed transitions or edges that need to remain sharp and crisp, it's better to let someone familiar with refinishing handle this; better yet, let the TAG service folks do it as they should be most familiar with their watches ;)

I suggest going this route as rounding out an edge or polishing away a brushed finish (which then creates a new problem- re-creating the brushed grain to match) are easy to do if not careful. Taking metal off is easy... Putting it back... Not so easy. Also, it's hard to gauge severity of the knick/scratch/ding without seeing a pic of the damage.

Anyways... If you can live with it for now, that's what I'd do. I know... It's hard to NOT notice the problem as your eye naturally goes straight to the ding since you know it's there. But, believe me... If this is a watch that you hold in high regard (which based on your post, I'm assuming that to be the case) and is one you normally wear, it's going to pick up some evidence of wear anyways, just from wrist time.

But... If you feel compelled with giving the polishing a go yourself, you can try giving the case a buff with a Cape Cod. As I said... I don't know how severe the ding/scratch is, so it may or may not remedy the situation. But if you do go this route, try practicing on some old reps that you don't care about first.

That said... I'm not familiar with TAG's stance on working on cases not refinished by them, but if they're like some of the other brands, they may tell you you're out of luck if you've tried to DIY the refinish and need them to fix a problem as a result...

Best of luck!