When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Luminor Marina

TeeJay

Not sure of the model number, but it has sandwhich dial, and runs secs @ 9. This is the watch I am least likely to wear, but, was a replacement for the VC Overseas my dealer had ordered, but was given a wrong model by his suppliers, so he offered the option of the incorrect model, a refund, or another choice, so it's better than nothing... The hands are nice and green, but the numeral sandwich layer is a tan color which I will probably have re-lumed at some point. However. I have a strap on order from V, which, being of similar color to the numerals, might actually blend the colors better... Time will tell. In terms of the movement, the stickers are noticeable, and actually has the mis-spelling 'Officne'. Then again, the watch will hardly be scrutinized (if it even gets worn at all) so that is a flaw I can overlook. When the watch arrived, the crown guard was on upside down, but, that was how it was advertized by my dealer, so not a problem there, and, also not a problem to correct with a screwdriver. The stock rubber strap (which I think looked disgusting on the watch) has been replaced with a black leather strap and the buckle swapped over. This is the first time I've seen one of the 'flared' Panerai buckles 'in the metal', and to be honest, it is ludicrously over-sized... I can understand why people accuse Pam owners of 'overcompensation' for other shortcomings... A stupid plus point, however, is the recessed cannon pinion problem I have read about, is not present on this watch. In all honesty, it is a nice watch, Pams just aren't my particular taste. This will be an occasional wear watch, but I think, (at least untill the new strap arrives or it is re-lumed), it will always be at the bottom of the selection pile...

279751-1225.jpg

279751-1226.jpg

279751-1227.jpg

The watch should have cost

It is a blend of 111G and 111H. And, in spite of that and of a slightly misaligned subdial, yes, it is a bargain at that price.

...But what 'officne' mispelling?

although dial and movement vs cg and caseback are wrong this is a stunning piece and a steal at this price :) Nice deal :p

cheers,

Kuba

Indeed, it was a good deal, and a watch I wanted for my overall collection, although my favorite watches are still Omega...

Out of curiosity, what should the CG and caseback be like for this dial and movement? (should the CG have a TM logo on it?)

It is a blend of 111G and 111H. And, in spite of that and of a slightly misaligned subdial, yes, it is a bargain at that price.

...But what 'officne' mispelling?

I'll settle with 111 :) The subdial appears to be aligned with the indices above and below it, how is it misaligned?

The mis-spelling is on the movement decoration. The bronze letters which are below the 9 position running vertically. Not really easy to see in the picture because of the glare from the flash... but rather than 'Officine Panerai', it actualy reads 'Officne Paneri' Then again, for a watch that will hardly see wrist time, and certainly never be scrutinized by anyone who actually knows anything about Pams, I can certainly live with the flaws :D

Out of curiosity, what should the CG and caseback be like for this dial and movement? (should the CG have a TM logo on it?)

I'll settle with 111 :) The subdial appears to be aligned with the indices above and below it, how is it misaligned?

The back decoration looks like the G model. The H-model has different shape of bridges and contains only 1 time "officine panerai" instead of dozens. But who's gonna have a look at the back when it's on your wrist? ;)

The subdial at 9 should be alligned 1 mm more to the left.

The historic PAMs like the 111 don't have the 'reg t.m.' on the CG.

But are you sure it's a sandwich dial (H-model) and not a saucage (G-model and back)? Hard to see on the pics...

I bet if you have the dial relumed and have the newstrap you'll probably wear it with more pleasure and more often than you expect :)

Wear it well! :1a:

Same deeeler as before??????????? not to bad really for the price, i might look at one for playing with. Dosent look like a sandwich dial in the piks though.

Indeed, same dealer as before :)

I'm a bit disapointed with how the photos haven't really shown the sandwich effect, but please believe me that it is indeed a sandwich dial. :D

The back decoration looks like the G model. The H-model has different shape of bridges and contains only 1 time "officine panerai" instead of dozens. But who's gonna have a look at the back when it's on your wrist? ;)

Ahh, I think I know the movement bridges you mean... Indeed, who's going to see it on my wrist ;)

The subdial at 9 should be alligned 1 mm more to the left.

The historic PAMs like the 111 don't have the 'reg t.m.' on the CG.

Ahh, that's fair enough. Funnily enough, I saw an actor on an adult DVD cover wearing a Pam, and the subdial was so close to the center of the dial, it was laughable :D

So if the 111 don't have the 'reg t.m' detail on the cg, what's the cg flaw that was pointed out? I really don't know a whole lot about Pams :D

But are you sure it's a sandwich dial (H-model) and not a saucage (G-model and back)? Hard to see on the pics...

As above, I assure you it is indeed a sandwich dial rather than sausage model. I'll have to try and get some better pics to show the layering effect :)

I bet if you have the dial relumed and have the newstrap you'll probably wear it with more pleasure and more often than you expect :)

Wear it well! :1a:

I think you may be right. The inconsistency between the color of the dial and hands is something that's putting me off it a bit, but I'm sure a relume would solve that. I'm also keep to see if the new strap, which is of a similar color, might help... In terms of wear, this might be the 'showing off without flashing a known brand' watch :D I've decided to wear it so I can cauge the watch's power reserve...

Thanks for all the comments, folks :)

Ahh, that's fair enough. Funnily enough, I saw an actor on an adult DVD cover wearing a Pam, and the subdial was so close to the center of the dial, it was laughable :D

Glad I'm not the only watch addict that gets distracted by the watch of the male actor in Adult movies :)

More or less like the CG discussion on Subs the same goes for the shape of the PAM CG's and the thickness of the crown itself.... To be honest, I couldn't care less B) .

However, what does bother me on all 111H's is the white font which is off-white on the gen and the "L SWISS MADE L" being too close to the '6'. 2 easy noticable giveaways for the real Paneristi.

Glad I'm not the only watch addict that gets distracted by the watch of the male actor in Adult movies :)

To be honest, I only noticed it on the cover as it was a Pam, and such an obvious rep :D

More or less like the CG discussion on Subs the same goes for the shape of the PAM CG's and the thickness of the crown itself.... To be honest, I couldn't care less B) .

However, what does bother me on all 111H's is the white font which is off-white on the gen and the "L SWISS MADE L" being too close to the '6'. 2 easy noticable giveaways for the real Paneristi.

Gotcha. With regards to the color of the font, that reminds me of the debate amongst Star Wars costuming enthusiasts about the color of Anakin Skywalker's clothing in Revenge of the Sith. To the casual glance, it appears black, but, when viewed in close scrutiny (and viewed from static reference material) it is actually very very dark brown. So dark brown that it looks black, but still brown... This strikes me as a similar scenario, and someone trying to compare colors mentally, when in all honesty, color swatches would be needed to totally identify the color :D

The subdial appears to be aligned with the indices above and below it, how is it misaligned?

I was meaning it is aligned with the indices differently from the gen, it should be a little smaller and shifted outwards, as you can see in this gen pic:

280109-957.jpg

The mis-spelling is on the movement decoration. The bronze letters which are below the 9 position running vertically. Not really easy to see in the picture because of the glare from the flash... but rather than 'Officine Panerai', it actualy reads 'Officne Paneri'

Oh I see now.

Thanks for the explaination!

I was meaning it is aligned with the indices differently from the gen, it should be a little smaller and shifted outwards, as you can see in this gen pic:

280147-919.jpg

Oh I see now.

Thanks for the explaination!

Likewise, I see what you mean now, and thanks for the clarification :D

A less than promising update, is that the watch does not eam to be running for more than an hour without stopping, despite being fully wound... I think I'll be sending this one back to the dealer... Oh well, easy come, easy go... :smile:

A less than promising update, is that the watch does not eam to be running for more than an hour without stopping, despite being fully wound... I think I'll be sending this one back to the dealer... Oh well, easy come, easy go... :smile:

O no, that's a major bummer :( .

So are you replacing it for the VC after all or would it be another PAM? Wouldn't loose you from the PAM front, hahaha :)

By the way, if you would choose another PAM again you might consider the titanium/antracite PAM089. This is a contemporary model with working GMT. Extra benefit for you would be that the buckle is smaller than on the oversized Historic models ;) If you do, you have to ask for the updated dial with the minute marker @9 (there was a thread with nice pics a few days ago).

O no, that's a major bummer :( .

So are you replacing it for the VC after all or would it be another PAM? Wouldn't loose you from the PAM front, hahaha :)

By the way, if you would choose another PAM again you might consider the titanium/antracite PAM089. This is a contemporary model with working GMT. Extra benefit for you would be that the buckle is smaller than on the oversized Historic models ;) If you do, you have to ask for the updated dial with the minute marker @9 (there was a thread with nice pics a few days ago).

These things happen, and the dealer has been cool about an exchange, so I'm happy.

I'm still ordering the VC tomorrow as planned, but from a different dealer, as my dealer's supplier couldn't get hold of the model I wanted. I'm sending the Pam back to be replaced with an Omega Aqua Terra with black dial.(which I have plans to customize) In all honesty, as much as I can appreciate the Pams, they just aren't my cup of tea. The size doesn't bother me, as I love my Planet Ocean Big Size, but the design is just so 'clumsy' in comparison to the Omega. I'll probably get another Pam at some point in the future, just for 'collection diversity', but at the moment, I'm taking this as a sign to avoid them for a while... Thanks for the model suggestion, I'll keep it in mind for future reference. :)