When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Body Snatching

freddy333

Are the movements and hand sizes the same?

280277-808.jpg280277-809.jpg

(v71 on left, v72 on right)

I thought I read once that these 2 movements are functionally the same, but the 71 is larger. But I cannot find the post or website I read that on and I do not know if that is correct. If the 71 is larger, does that mean it will not fit a case made for a 72, or does it mean that it will fit the case without needing the additional spacer ring?

Anyone know?

Thanks Ziggy. If the overall dimensions are that close (within about 1.5mm of each other), is it safe to assume that the 71 should fit the case, but without needing the current spacer ring?

I also need to know if the hand positions and sizes are the same between the 2 movements, so I can move a dial from a 72 over to the 71 and everything on the dial will line up correctly?

Oh, and welcome back, Zig. I hope your summer is going well.

Sorry to hear about the website going down though.

Thanks Ziggy. If the overall dimensions are that close (within about 1.5mm of each other), is it safe to assume that the 71 should fit the case, but without needing the current spacer ring?

Probably, if the ring is removed it should fit...

I also need to know if the hand positions and sizes are the same between the 2 movements, so I can move a dial from a 72 over to the 71 and everything on the dial will line up correctly?
I can probably find the hand sizes in my BestFit catalogue, but no idea on the subdial spacing...

Oh, and welcome back, Zig. I hope your summer is going well.

Sorry to hear about the website going down though.

I never really left, just slowing down for august... web site is to visible, better to play your cards closer to the chest...

RG

Guest avitt

The VJ71 is 1.8mm in larger in diameter than the 72. You also have to be concerned about the overall hight of the movement, and where the stem lines up: is it like the VJ23, or the VJ72 (which require different cases)? There is a lot of work and risk involved in trying to fit one of these into a DW case.

Ziggy -- If you can check on the hand sizes that would help.

Avitt -- I am considering a v71 to use for the Flytimer dial and hands (I am using the Fly's v72 for the DW Newman project).

280478-655.jpg

As far as I know, the v71 is the same as the V22 but has the additional hour counter.

This is the info I have on the v22/v71

Features:

manual-wind chronograph, 60s, 30/45min, pillar wheel

sub second

Data:

14''', Dm= 31.3mm, H= 6.4mm

17 jewels

f = 18000 A/h

power reserve 40h

This is the info I have on the v72

Features

manual-wind chronograph, 60s, 30min, 12h, pillar wheel

sub second

Data

13''', Dm= 29.5mm, H= 6.25mm

17 jewels

f = 18000 A/h

power reserve 46h

There is only about .15mm difference in the height of the 22 (71) and the 72, so I do not think that should be a problem. But the big question is whether the hands are the same sizes (and in the same positions) between the 71 and 72?