When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Valjoux cal. 72

FasTTaP

Hi,

I've got this 7750 pre daytona, the gen is supposed to host a Valjoux cal. 72 and I could'nt find the following info : is this an automatic or a manual movement???

Gen info link (first watch on the list)

rep:

280326-751.jpg

gen:

280326-752.jpg

This watch has to go to an extensive vintaging process before even considering wearing it, and I guess servicing the 7750 will have to be done, so should I have the rotor disable (it the valjoux 72 happens to be a manual winding watch) ???

Cheers

Guest RiverwindMDS
Arg... I was affraid of that...

So should I disable the 7750's rotor to get close to the gen ???

Just take it off...

But the subdial spacing is very different from the two movements...

Arg... I was affraid of that...

So should I disable the 7750's rotor to get close to the gen ???

What purpose would it serve to remove the rotor?

You can't see it, and if the rotor is in place, the watch will wind as you wear it.

If you wanted to remove the rotor, you left with hand winding it all the time, and I am not sure what that will prove?

RG

Well, the dead giveaway (rotor or rotor removed) would be the huge caseback to fit the 7750, and the seriously flawed subdial placements.

Also, no Tritium dots and rhodium plated markers/hands would also tell any Rolex WIS that it is a fake.

The 7750 is a thick 7.9mm movement since it consists of 3 layers (mainplate, day/date plate and chronograph plate).

The gorgoeus Valjoux 72 is manual wind with no day/date function, thus it is much much thinner than the 7750. And since it is a column wheel chrono, it is much more expensive due to the vast array of refined parts needed when compared to the inexpensive 'heart piece' coulisse-lever design of the 7750.