When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replying to TTK's Planet Ocean

Thor

Page 1:

To me, TTK's Planet Ocean looks like the best on available right now. Here is a picture of a gen model 2209.50 (Orange, 42.5mm, Steel bracelet), along with TTK's 43mm rep. (I tried to find a similar angle for comparison). The only flaws that I see are the position of the HE valve, bezel marker (should be larger, with an orange outline), bezel knurls, bracelet engraving, and the date font. (I won't fault the dial number color...it could be the photography). The case back is not stick-on plate, but is slightly misaligned. I think that the beautiful curved bracelet compensates for all of these.

107-8509.jpg

107-8510.jpg

I'd be happy to hear what you think...

Yep... you're onto me. This is my plan, to take that watch and replace the bezel with Andrew's... it should be nearly perfect.

Here is Andrew's bezel.

107-8511.jpg

You won't get called out on that combo...

I was looking at some gens of these in a shop... I never liked the pics online the color didnt impress me, but in real life... these things are pretty damn spiffy... I tried one on and was like damn now I need to order a rep of this!

I think you're right. The photo of andrew's doesn't show the bezel knurling very well, but in real life it is spot on.

Someone asked why reps are never perfect? It's like this. TTK's is dead-on gorgeous but the bezel is wrong. So Andrew has a PERFECT bezel but his bracelet is wrong and the numerals are a bit too dark.

Sometimes ya gotta mix and match to get the right piece.

I do not understand for the life of me why rep makers can’t get the damned HEV right!!!! But besides that, it looks very good. One other minor thing I noticed is the logo on the face. On the genuine, the Omega symbol sits right on top of the Omega text with more space above it between the 12 o’clock marker. On the rep, the symbol is centered between the marker and the text. Also, and it could just be the angle, but the rehaut looks awfully shallow on the rep. Regardless of these minor flaws, it’s sure is a nice looking watch!

Funny. I've got Neil's 45mm PO. I took it into a shop in a mall that had the smaller orange PO and compared color. It seemed spot on. Now, I'm not anal, but everything looked damn good on Neil's 45mm compared to the real deal, with the exception of the flaws mentioned. I got rid of the bracelet and got the black strap with orange piping that Bricktop had on his, so no bracelet flaws. BTW, that strap really makes the watch standout. Much nicer than Omega's orange one.

Guys: stop torturing me with these Planet Ocean pics. That watch is irresistable and I've spent all my extra cash to a MBW Sub with goodies. :comp2:

What do you want me to do? My girfriend wants a christmas present too. :laugh:

...Simple...buy one for her, and borrow it every day :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hmm....

:laugh:

I'm in the same situation....

now i do have some money left over from my Xmas bonus.... :wink:

The date window is wrong to, on both rep versions mentioned in this thread. It should be more to the right, and a little bit bigger(?)

But the reps are definitely getting better. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@Nanuq...

I got one coming in the next shipment...

How's the lume?? :woot:

I think I can hazard a guess why. Take a look at the chronograph models of the gen SMP and you will see the HEV lines up perfectly with the '10' marker. I assume the case design of the standard SMPs was modified to produce a chrono rep, and then this 'correction' accidentally made it on to all models.

Which gets me thinking - with all these 7750 based reps now kicking around why has no-one produced a SMP chronograph rep. Should be easy to make it 100% using the non-chrono SMP as a base.

PLANET OCEANS HAVE NOW SURFACED.....! :smile:

Page 2:

I hope you still have access to more come the end of January/beginning of February. Hopefully by then I'll know for certain what colour combination to get...

;)

And what's wrong with bright "in your face" orange my friend?

Would always make me feel like whistling an old proddy folk tune.

Altogether now, pucker up those lips, here we go.....

:whistle:

JTB

PS Neil - if you catch this, in our native vernacular........"A waant wan wae a black 'n orange strap!"

Will we ever see another 45mm PO Rep?

Take out your ruler and look at the tic marks. The smallest one showing is usually 1/8"

2mm is .078" and 1/8" is .125"

So the difference you're looking at between 43mm and 45mm is a little over half of the 1/8" tic mark. That's so teeny you'll never notice it.

Remember also that a fullsize Submariner case is around 41mm and it's plenty big.

I recommend buying the 43mm and enjoying it... that's what I did!

Also... TTK has a new batch in and they look REALLY nice.

I find 41 to be waaaay too small now :frusty:

I guess you don't wear Panerai do you Nanuq?

Panerai?? ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Nope. Until now I've never even typed the name! Sorry, my friend... perfectly happy to NOT be part of that circus.

I mean really. How many identical looking watches can a guy have?!

(please no comments on my identical looking Rolexes!) *grin*

"Sure l'm an U....."

Ahem!! :tongue:

My reasons for specific colour choice are a bit more subtle than that. All I'll say is, if you are reading this Neil, I may have some handy info for you come Feb 2006...

:wink:

Wot....I have to wait until Feb......well you can wait till Feb for your P.O........what am I talking about....that's standard service.... :laugh:

The 10,20,30,etc numbering on the bezel is not as bold as the original. The date font is too faint (it almost looks like the printing is coming off, though I know it isn't), and the date window is too small.

Nice looking watch nevertheless.

her is my gen 45.5mm PO for comparison.a>108-8506.jpga>

BTW i still don't know what you guys see wrong about the HE valve position???? i am wearing my gen and looking at the picture and can't tell! i think i'll get the smaller 43mm rep with the orange croco band so i have one! very nice.

@Wiegand913

The He valve on the gen is a touch closer to the 11:00 position than the rep, which is directly in line with the 10:00 position. On the comparison pics posted, the gen at 10:10 points to centre of the He valve, whereas the rep at 10:10 points to one edge of it. I can see why people agonise over this (so close yet...) but seems pretty damn close to me, and is likely not noticable unless you're specifically looking for flaws. :rolleyes:

get her that PO, she will love it, tell her orange basel version is for ladies, and there you go :happy: