When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do I have this right???

tmark

It seems from reading The Zigmeister articles and other memebers comments that various movments are more reliable than others. In relation to that I have a couple of questions.

First, The Asian 21j movement appears on a lot of less expensive watches. What is the quality of this movement? What complications affect this movement reliablity? I see some with date, others with day, date, month, year, moon! It would seem to me that the more complications you add on the more gears you must have, and the inherent drag on the watch movement. Also what about watches that move the second hand to a subdial, is that a problem?

Second, the 7750 movement-- I gather this has the chrono functions built into the main movement is that correct? If so where are the built in functions located? Again it would seem to me that if the functions were moved from one location to another this would create potential reliability issues-- is that correct?

Please give me some advice on how to compare various watches with different complications and different movements. Or am I splitting hairs, and it is more the luck of the draw whether you get a reliable watch or not.

Thanks

mark

It seems from reading Ziggy articles and other memebers comments that various movments are more reliable than others. In relation to that I have a couple of questions.

First, The Asian 21j movement appears on a lot of less expensive watches. What is the quality of this movement? What complications affect this movement reliablity? I see some with date, others with day, date, month, year, moon! It would seem to me that the more complications you add on the more gears you must have, and the inherent drag on the watch movement. Also what about watches that move the second hand to a subdial, is that a problem?

Basic asian models are fine, complications only add problems to the movement. Basic models can be replaced with Miyota 8215 movements, complication models are scrap when they break...

Second, the 7750 movement-- I gather this has the chrono functions built into the main movement is that correct? If so where are the built in functions located? Again it would seem to me that if the functions were moved from one location to another this would create potential reliability issues-- is that correct?

Please give me some advice on how to compare various watches with different complications and different movements. Or am I splitting hairs, and it is more the luck of the draw whether you get a reliable watch or not.

Thanks

mark

On the 7750, you need to have another read in this section, here you will find many articles on the 7750 and all the answers to these questions... and many more...

All your movement answers at your finger tips...click here...

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister,

My question on complications, is there some typically acceptable amount, like day, date is usually ok beyond that your risking it? Also the dials that have numerous complications (day,date, month, year, moon) I assume that each complication probably has one or more gears to run it so something with 5 complications might have 10 more gears to run them-- Is that correct?

I'll do some more reading on the 7750's, lots of information here and can't absorb it all on first read.

thanks again

mark