When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can you buy the Ceramic dial from GMT II

jgctx

you mean the bezel? As far as i know, the new GMT Master ceramic bezel is hundreds and hundres of dollars alone for an aftermarket one... pretty pricey upgrade for a rep right now. in a year or so, some aftermarket company will be hammering these out by the millions and they will come down in price. I havent heard anything about swapping one in or if it will fit. Might be tought to sand down a ceramic bezel to fit when modding is needed. Take your dremel to your toilet or your sink and you'll see what i mean. Usually it just chips and breaks

Lonnie

Edited by L-dizzle

Ah, my dear Doc,

Have you never experimented with ceramics? Although they are quite brittle, their scratch resistance is superb.

Unless a watch was never used, it would soon acquire a patina not otherwise seen on the genuine piece. To my uneducated eye this would be a dead tell.

:winkiss:

Ah, my dear Doc,

Have you never experimented with ceramics? Although they are quite brittle, their scratch resistance is superb.

Unless a watch was never used, it would soon acquire a patina not otherwise seen on the genuine piece. To my uneducated eye this would be a dead tell.

:winkiss:

Uneducated eye yeah right!

lol

I read in a couple of places that this new GMT case was 42mm? I havent seen a GEN yet. Im sure its the same 40mm though.

Your best bet would be to buy a GEN bezel and ceramic insert and put it on your rep. I can just imagine how much that would cost.... yikes!

Lonnie

The new GMT II Steel is in construction and is going to be another of those super-reps, including the nice bezel. So be patient gentlemen....

Erm, source please? Or just an calculated guess? Super-rep? :brow: Anyway, of course a more accurate version will be available at some point, you can already get a nice but basic first-gen attempt from certain dealers.

L-dizzle - I am fortunate enough to have seen and tried on a 116710 in the flesh (or is that 'metal'? ^_^ ), my local AD had on "on approval" behind the counter and very much not for sale. I can confirm that the case (and bezel) is definitely and noticeably larger than the standard 40mm diameter, so that rumoured 42mm sounds right. But what is most apparent is the thickness of this beauty, no more waif-like (i.e. comfortable) GMT dimensions, this baby has the girth of a Sub at least (although wears very differently, not like any other Rollie I've encountered).

And as Miss Understood will no doubt attest, girth is all that matters :D

p.s. the watch is a real eye-catcher in every sense, truly elegant but modern, and I couldn't help myself and put my name down there and then.

Erm, source please? Or just an calculated guess? Super-rep? :brow: Anyway, of course a more accurate version will be available at some point, you can already get a nice but basic first-gen attempt from certain dealers.

Angus mentioned it in one of hie posts, I think it was over at rwi. And yes, it will be super rep with real ceramic...lets just hope they do it right. There are a lot details which might cause trouble apart from the bezel....for instance the "Rolex" engraving on the rehaut....plus makers are yet to prove to us that they are able to create a Rolex super rep...cause in the past there was always somethng faulty with them.... :huh:

You can be as anal as you want about it, personally I couldn't care whether it is 42, 41.5696797 or indeed 40.3mm. And of course, the larger 7mm triplock crown and bezel assembly affect the size.

All I know is that it appears larger on the wrist. It's not a trick of the eye...since it has the same standard 20mm bracelet (Daytona-type also seen on late model Yachties) you only have to look at the width of the individual lugs compared with the old GMTII to see it's not the same diameter, whatever anyone says.

And no, I'm not going back in to see my guy with a set of digital calipers :rolleyes:

288428-6953.png

288428-6954.png

Angus mentioned it in one of hie posts, I think it was over at rwi. And yes, it will be super rep with real ceramic...lets just hope they do it right. There are a lot details which might cause trouble apart from the bezel....for instance the "Rolex" engraving on the rehaut....plus makers are yet to prove to us that they are able to create a Rolex super rep...cause in the past there was always somethng faulty with them.... :huh:

Funny I thought 'Angus' when I saw the reference to super rep. I put no stock in that term anyway. The Rolex engraving has already been done for a long time on the TOG and others, etched or engraved quality differs I recall....not a design feature I like on the gens anyway. So I suspect the only part of this rep that will be 'super' is the ceramic insert. I seriously doubt the case will be accurate, for all the obvious reasons that have been discussed to death over the years. And then there's the movt.....bastardized (albeit correct-stack) 2836 again? :brow: