When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 Red Submariner

polexpete

Hey Guys,

again, many thanks yer great comments glad you like it... I'm gonna answer yer qustions but first Nanuq, u wanna trade that baby? but i guess you're gonna want 30k on top huh? damn!!!

Had a lot of fun working on this but when you sourced a great dial its a pisser when it doesn't fit yer case. I just learned from a highly respected member that as well as the 5513 MBW stamp on the "1680" case it also has 5513 dimesions which means the 1680 dial is around 0.2mm larger and so has to be trimmed. I wish MBW had made the case to 1680 spec then all dials would fit without having to get a file to an expensive and sometimes original 1680 dial.

The dial is certainly from same Vietnam source, expensive but not that expensive....

The datewheel isn't silver but what i did do was make it a little more yellow like aged paper. Bright white datewheels stand out like sore thumbs on a vintagised watch. You can do this by handling it with yer grubby hands or like i did zap it under the grill like cheese on toast. Works a treat! done it with dials too but you gotta be careful, a few seconds is enough.

As for the bracelet its a hollowlink aftermarket which i've had a while and has fallen apart on its own really. I scotchbrite the shiny endplates getting right to the edges of the rivets. I brought it on the Bay and wish i'd got some more at the time...

Thanks guys

P.