When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fully Modded Deco Bezel 3646

JoJo35

Here's a watch I just got back from The Zigmeister, and quite frankly I am at a loss for words of how perfectly done this piece is. After holding this watch in my hands, and taking a good look at it, I can truly appreciate the time and patience it must take to modify one of these watches.

Starting with the dial, The Zigmeister has captured the look (IMO) of what a bronze dial should look like after 50 or so years of sunlight and slow oxidation under a plexi crystal. The Zigmeister has retained the brown dial perfectly, yet it looks old, and tired. This is the kind of dial that, in the words of a watch connoisseur from the upper east side of NYC, "talks to you". The aging of the lume on the hands and numbers is also on par, and again looks perfect.

Besides the dial and hands, The Zigmeister suggested changing the front and back crystals to correct items, and.... he "aged" the front plexi by yellowing the interior side..WOW.

The case has been aged appropriately, with the crown tube being modified by bringing it in closer to the case, allowing the crown to fit flush against the case when tightened down.

Out back, the rolex plates have been aged by removing them and soaking them in an acid bath solution.

My contribution is just the strap, having picked it up a while ago and aging it myself.

Here's some pics, enjoy!

287887-7315.jpg

287887-7316.jpg

287887-7317.jpg

287887-7318.jpg

287887-7319.jpg

287887-7320.jpg

287887-7321.jpg

287887-7322.jpg

Edited by JoJo35

That strap really brings out the oldness in the watch... and I am pleased that you like the results. Being hand painted, there is always doubt as the painter as to what I think looks good actually matches what your looking for. In this case, we worked back and forth a few times until I got it looking the way you wanted and I am happy that you like the results in person.

I am not sure what I would do with the movement, the reason I say this, is that of all the old pocket watches I have restored, 99% of them had pristine looking movements, eventhough the dial and hands may look old.

The movement is brass, or plated brass, so it won't rust, the only parts that rust are the actual pivots (and when they do, it's not a good thing). Since the movement is nickel plated and enclosed, I am not sure how much ageing it would have to have done to it, to make it look right.

This is a 114 year old pocket watch movement... for a comparison.

288422-6955.jpg

This is a 102 year old movement...

288422-6956.jpg

RG

Interesting, Zig. Maybe the diver's watches are different and more prone to rust / oxidation. Because now that I think about it, I normally see it on older Rolex sub movements, like this one from the 60's or 70's (not sure)....

290011-5960.jpg

That strap really brings out the oldness in the watch... and I am pleased that you like the results. Being hand painted, there is always doubt as the painter as to what I think looks good actually matches what your looking for. In this case, we worked back and forth a few times until I got it looking the way you wanted and I am happy that you like the results in person.

I am not sure what I would do with the movement, the reason I say this, is that of all the old pocket watches I have restored, 99% of them had pristine looking movements, eventhough the dial and hands may look old.

The movement is brass, or plated brass, so it won't rust, the only parts that rust are the actual pivots (and when they do, it's not a good thing). Since the movement is nickel plated and enclosed, I am not sure how much ageing it would have to have done to it, to make it look right.

This is a 114 year old pocket watch movement... for a comparison.

290011-5961.jpg

This is a 102 year old movement...

290011-5962.jpg

RG

-

That's a wonderful watch - the Deco is such a rare piece, and to have an interpretation of it makes it special. Congrats - one to keep and enjoy for years.

Great job also, The Zigmeister! It's good to see you using your skills in the widest arena :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by bigbadbrad