When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which model Panerai do you think?, Please help me identify Options

Thor

I can't seem to find a Gen that is close to this one. Either I am really bad at looking them up, or this is a really bad rep of a GMT. Please help me out if you can. Thanks for any help.

I'm aware of three Pam GMTs, the 029, 023 and 063.

Your pic appears to be the 029 but with a smooth bezel. The gen 029 & 023 that I've seen have the fixed numbered bezels. The 063 has the smooth bezel but the dial is different.

Added: The date is very strange on your pic. The cyclops replaces the 3 on the GMTs.

kenwatches.com (HK) & artoftime.com (US) have vintage GMT gens available from time to time if looking for pics.

Cheers,

Jet

The photo is bad so I'm doing the best I can here...

I can't see the GMT hand, so I'm assuming it is right there around 3 o'clock

I thought whenever Panerai had the date on a watch, they omitted the 3 @ 3 o'clock

Is this supposed to be the 063?

Professional help please?

Esmarc :coolio:

Looks to me like a cheap chinese movt rep - don't bother with it.

@Jet,

OK - I'm confused. What is the difference between the 023 and the 029? I think that the 023 has a plain dial, rather than the corrugated "Tuxedo" But ... is that the only difference?

Happy timekeeping!

Clive

Hi, Clive:

You're correct. The 023 doesn't have the tuxedo dial plus the arabic numerals are thicker. Very nice watch.

Photo of gen 023:

Here are the pics that I found of the 023 and the 029.

112-8500.jpg

The only difference that I can see is the dial texture. Of course, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of either photo. But I was wondering if maybe the 023 had a brushed finish case... these pics are so retouched that it hard to tell.

If the dial is the only difference, one wonders why our rep factory went to the trouble of producing the Tuxedo version. Surely a flat dial would have been easier to make?

And one must also wonder why they haven't made the 023 version as well as the 029... they must be aware the panareparisti need every version available. :laugh:

Happy timekeeping!

Clive

I agree, Clive. The 023 dial should be easier to manufacture plus it should not have the issue of the GMT hand rubbing against the ridges of the tuxedo dial. I'm not a movement expert but it seems that any pinion length on the 2893 would have been fine with the flush dial. It sure would have saved folks here and TRC a lot of headaches & cash.

I hope we see the 029 with the 2893. It's a great looking watch! I'm game. :)

On your pics, the watches look identical with the exeption of the ridges on the 029's dial.

Jet

it's incredible that they would make a 188 and 196 but not 23 and 29. maybe they're too similar to one another?

who knows

Its a bad rep its seems to be some what of a fantasy watch :drunksing:

Thanks to all who answered. I think it is just a bad rep.

Don't forget the 088 GMT which IMO is thebest of the lot.

Well, that is a different kind of animal from the technical point of view at least...cosmetically it is closer to the classical PAM look with the 9:00 seconds dial; but the 088 is powered by the 7750, which is not a true GMT movement (price of getting the 9:00 dial!), the 029 and 063 are "true" GMT's thus I would personally still prefer the 29/63 versions.

For some reason the current model (088) has not be replicated, perhaps the stock of 29/63's did not run out? Or they did not make the gears for the GMT hand that can be powerd by the chrono movement?

The picture on the top is a poor rep bordering on fantasy :smile: .