When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

KING's New Daylight - A nice rep of a prototype, White with black subdials Options

Thor

Page 1:

:headsetsmiley:

I am sure that many of you you have see it on Kings site:

http://www.kingshowbox.com/PANERAI-101.htm

Few minutes ago I found some pics of a similar gen to compare:

http://www.connectingwatches.com/Watches/O...Daylight-WD.jpg

http://199.249.170.176/europastar/photos/2...q2/panerai2.jpg

I believe that King's is pretty close to the orig (can hardly find any differences).

I wish one day they make this daylight:

http://www.connectingwatches.com/Watches/O...Daylight-BD.jpg

..... I thought that all these was ok to share with you.

-------------------------------------

Edited: Mon 2nd of Jan 2006.

I have just changed the topic title to reflect reality and not to mislead others.

AMK000

-------------------------------------

I am not big on white dials (some would say I am not big on dates either) however I like this it looks great.

I think this is a beatiful watch! Nice quality... :happy:

Update:

Both myself and another fellow member (who just PMed me) had/have some doubts that the PAM daylight white with black subdials (showing in to my links as genuine for comparison to King's one) ever existed as a genuine watch or was just a fantasy rep.

Well , fair doubt. We are not PAM super-dooper experts so we cant tell for sure.

I did some more investigation and I think this PAM does really exist.

http://www.connectingwatches.com/forums/cf...turn=Se&Author=

Since you can never be 100% sure with these things , I will also welcome opinions from our PAM experts over here.

As I understand it, the model offered by King is based on a prototype which either was never made or had a few pieces made. The predecessor to the Daylight (44mm chrono) was the 162 which is black with "grayish" dials. Actually, IMHO a very attractive watch. When announcing the Daylights they suggested it would come with similar "Panda Dials" except white on black and visa versa. They actually disseminated pictures but then changed their minds. They went with what we see today.

Nice, and even more accurate than the 188. What's King's price on it?

This is a replica of the Daylight prototype that was shown only as a photograph before the production models came out. So if you like the look that's cool but it's basically a pure fantasy model so it's "accuracy" doesn't mean much . . .

If it is a rep of a prototype then it is a rep of a prototype not a fantasy. Or at least that is how I see it.

But the mystery is whether they ever made it or simply photo-shopped it. :smile:

It could be PS - it would be a good PS job but who knows. Panerai have made many prototypes over the years that have been floating around.

But it is a better rep of the protoype than our 7753 188 is of the gen 188. On the white face prototype they used a font closer to the 196 font and on the 188 rep they never changed the font from the 196 while on the gen 188 they did substantially "thicken the font".

It's not a fantasy watch. They made 50 of the so called Panda dials before chopping it in favour of the familiar all white dial that we all know and love. As far as I know all 50 were sold on the open market so are very collectable.

Yay finepics you always come up with the good information!

Damn, I might have let you all down as this is a photo of the genuine Panda dial watch and it's the other way round!!

Oh hell, what am I doing - now I just found out that they made 2 prototypes and here is the one that is the right way round (this is a pic of the gen and not a rep).

Page 2:

damn FP I cannot spend anymore money!

But did you see this: http://www.kingshowbox.com/NEW%20ITEM-2005.htm

Crappy movt but notice the centre second hand is the same as the PAM 212 flback so does this mean a 7750 version will be on the way soon? Does this mean the 187 is not just a dream - pleeeeeeaaaase!! :rolleyes:

that link just goes to the new item page....

But this makes me very sad.... A 4 year old could paint better.

114-8499.jpg

Would not take much to touch that up though. I wonder if those hands are the same fitment as the 7750?

Some one should pick it up and give it a make over. It wont be me as I am picking up El's new china fiddy for zig to do a compairison with.

Anybody get any prices on these from mrs king yet?

:Jumpy::Jumpy:

.... ahhh , I am confused now.

Is that a rep of a prototype or a rep of a very limited production ???

If its a rep of protype , that really prooves (again) the theory that they can easily produce a 100% identical rep but they dont do it in purpose.

King's Price: I would say 650 - 700 USD.

Do not be confused - yes this is a rep of a protoype, and of course they could make a perfect rep if they really wanted to!!

Thanks ,

Pitty that they never made it. Its a nice watch.

I actually prefer the black with white sub-dials. IMHO it is a natural of the predecessor 162 (44mm chrono with black dial and stunning gray sub-dials (7750 based). But man, that rep is damn close. I guess you wouldn't have to worrry about serial numbers. :laugh: Except that if there is one. it may well be a humorous glaring error.

Finepics, how do I get that datewheel to you in time? :wink:

Hey Kruzer just get it to me by registered airmail, it should only take 5-7 days so that gives plenty of time (even if it takes longer).

I agree with you that the black dial looks better. Just had word from Joshua that the makers of the highly desirable 187 only made 100 and all went to Japan. He said that the Taiwanese did not get any either which is most unusual! I wonder what it would take to get the maker to do another run as they must have the tooling ready for it?

The 187 would be fabulous. We do need to organize this if it is possible. Please ask Joshua if he knows who the manufacturer is and wants to do this. Even if he doesn't, at least we know it already exists. And how great would it be to take it to the next level and build in a 7753 rather than 7750 (if that is the right base movement). It all makes sense when you factor in the listing on Watchonpo (presumably the largest high end dealer in Japan) and it's immediate disappearance from the web site. If Johus can't be helpful, may be the right tact is to work it through a Japanese member and direct contact with Watchonpo. Yes, I know they don't ship out of Japan.

On the Prototype, I am waiting for a price from King, but take a careful look and I think I asked a stupid question. The more I look at the prototype pictures the more I think that they didn't bother printing custom datewheels but used standard ETA font. Take a look and tell me what you think.

More PAMania. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I've just written an email to Joshua to see what he thinks. You are right about the datewheel being the standard font. As with the 196/188 there is no point re-printing the datewheel as it's too much work when the standard one will do - they know damn well we will buy them anyway!!

Yes the first thing I noticed was the date font - as there has been so much talk about it latley. Sad news about the 187 - I am shocked that they would only do a limited run as they must know a good version would sell like mad.

Page 3:

Actually, my point was based on what I see from the genuine prototype pictures not King's rep pictures. On the genuine prototype it looks like Panerai did not bother having a typical Panerai font datewheel printed but rather simply stuck in an ETA datewheel themselves. Do you agree?

Interesting - me thinks your are correct.

Now I think I have convinced myself otherwise. I am going to have to start searching the web for a PAM watch with the date set at the 3rd. Pathetic but true. I am really warming up to this watch. Always wanted a prototype. :wink:

:laugh: I speculate you're going to spend so much money on Daylight reps that if you combined what you had paid for all of them, including mods, relume etc, that you could have bought a genuine Daylight. :laugh:

Admin-

I was just asking myself the same question. It is still a 6:1 ratio or slightly better though. But, after all, where is the fun in gens. I buy the gens for my wife (hint, hint - oh soon to be married one). She gets the gens, I get the motorcycles. Actually, I bought one for her to. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Welcome to married life. :laugh:

If you look at the pic of the black dial version you can see tha they have used the Panerai date font - so it would need doing to "finish it off".